Can someone point me to a good air conditioning repair thread?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94SL

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My compressor is leaking. I can get it filled, and the compressor runs but is a bit noisy. After a couple days it leaks out. Obvious signs of leaking oil on the compressor. Was quoted $1000 to repair the entire system, then with tax ... probably would be close to $1,100, maybe higher.

So I want to try repairing this on my own. I want to do a good job, check/test everything, replace all that needs replacing, clean and flush all that needs to be flushed. Searching this forum and the web in general, not finding a good thread that covers it all. I'm sure it is out there, but I may not be using the best words in my search. Unfortunately my Haynes repair guide doesn't cover the a/c system. Is there a decent book or video I should read/watch?

As far as I can tell, my truck has the original setup, it is a R134a system, and nothing has been replaced other than an orifice tub and a couple O-rings last week. I just picked up the autozone 4 seasons kit, which has a new compressor, accumulator, orifice tube, and O-ring set. I wonder if I should replace the drier and the evaporator core? I would assume there is an inline filter that should be replaced as well. Is there anything else that should be replaced? Can the condenser be reused?

Basically, what do I need to replace, what can I clean. Those things that can be reused, how do I clean or flush and have it last for half a dozen or more years?

Thanks in advance.

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When redoing an a/c system.... the bare minimum I would replace is the compressor, accumulater/drier, and the orifice tube. And then you can flush everything else... our a/c systems are pretty easy and straight forward to work on. Just those 3 parts will run (from looking up many systems at work) about 250-300 bucks... replace those 3 items, add the correct amount of oil (about 8 dollars for the bottle) and rent or borrow a vacuum pump and guages and vac the system down. Make sure it holds a vacuum. Take of vacuum pump from gauges(with gauge valves shut), start truck and turn on a/c. Put can of Freon on the yellow hose of gauge set and open the "LOW" side valve. 1 to 2 cans usually is enough to get the compressor to turn on... then add as needed per the guages..

If you have the cash and don't feel like flushing everything. The condenser(front of radiator), evaperator(under dash)and compressor line/hose are all availible at the parts store.. just depends on how in-depth you want to go into the system.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk