can I have a detroit locker in my 1989 k2500 14b SF?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gibson

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Their are some differences,, many of what we call a "limited slip" diff are what, (in the old days,) were referred to as a "positraction" unit.
They use spring-loaded clutches, and usually some form of "ramp" to tighten the clutch pack,, as such they are known as a "speed sensing" unit,, and their must be some wheel slip for them to "engage" beyond the force of the springs,, the springs set the operational range of the unit.
The "Torsen" type is totally operated by a combination of spur and helical gearing, and is a "torque sensing" unit,, and they are in continuous operation, and shift the torque bias from one side to the other in real time as necessary, and in a seamless manner.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Is there a price difgerence between a 9.5" and 10.5" detroit locker?

It depends. The 10.5" Detroit is sold as internals only, so it's installed into a factory open carrier case. Therefore it's incompatible with the G80 carriers. So if the 10.5" axle you have has the G80, you'll have to either find a used open carrier case or buy a new one.

The 10.5" Detroit Locker itself is cheaper than the 9.5" one by quite a bit though, around $500 vs $800. Part number 225S10.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dtl-225s10

Chewy11B

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a tru trac in my 9.5" and love it. You will not be disappointed. Go for it and enjoy it. A "locker" will be too aggressive in the corners. The tru trac doesn't give you the turn squeal. I have actually run a full locker in one a d a tru trac in other. For street the tru trac rules, for off road the locker rules.

Chewy11B

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
O and btw make sure you follow instructions for gear lube, no synthetic and no additives. Using the helical gears requires the heavier weight for proper engagement. There are no friction clutches like other posi units

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
Sorry for the stupid question. But what is a lunchbox locker ?

It is a locking unit that gets installed the your differential carrier without dissembling the entire axle. It replaces the side and spider gears in the differential carrier

1989k2500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
It depends. The 10.5" Detroit is sold as internals only, so it's installed into a factory open carrier case. Therefore it's incompatible with the G80 carriers. So if the 10.5" axle you have has the G80, you'll have to either find a used open carrier case or buy a new one.

The 10.5" Detroit Locker itself is cheaper than the 9.5" one by quite a bit though, around $500 vs $800. Part number 225S10.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dtl-225s10
Detroit locker will cost me $620