can I have a detroit locker in my 1989 k2500 14b SF?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Why couldn't it be done? Eaton definitely makes a Detroit Locker for the 9.5" 14 bolt SFs.

1989k2500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
How about a yukon or a lunch box locker?
This is for my daily driver, I don't want to get into surprises again, where I get stuck in my own driveway, because the front didn't engage for some reason. But I also want to do this on a budget.
So for a stock 350 with 16" tires what would be an acceptable solution.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If it were my truck, I'd go with your first instinct and stick with a Detroit Locker. More expensive than a lunchbox or a Yukon but also more durable and predictable from what I've gathered. Someone here exploded a Yukon locker a couple years back but for the life of me I can't remember who it was or what the application was.

Eaton is pretty much the king of GM differential carriers, IMO.

Gibson

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As others have said, no big deal to install.
They are certainly not a very friendly unit on dry pavement,, and you gotta be careful not to get on the go pedal in a turn, and be wary of off-camber slopes in slippery conditions.

1989k2500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My m1028 dually has a dana 70hd with Detroit locker. But its a diesel and with a 4.56 gearing its hard to get in trouble there.
Im gonna think it through some more. I want to make the truck more capable if the front doesn't engage for some reason, but I dont want to kill myself driving it.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Truetrac are limited slip diff, aren't they?

Yes, and they're great. I have one in my Monte Carlo.

Personally I wouldn't put one in one of these trucks unless it's a complete pavement princess but that's just me. I think a truck should have a locker.