Camber adjustment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RobL

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I just put some new coil springs in my 92 gmc 1500 2wd and now the camber is out of whack. Could some give me a quick tutorial on how to adjust.

Thanks

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I just put some new coil springs in my 92 gmc 1500 2wd and now the camber is out of whack. Could some give me a quick tutorial on how to adjust.

Thanks
It needs to be taken for a front end and/or 4 wheel alignment. Preferably 4 wheel. Caster camber and toe are all inter-related so if your camber is off so is toe and caster.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Or get a camber/caster gauge and toe plates from Longacre and get to work. You're not gonna eyeball an alignment and be anywhere near right.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I just want to adjust it enough to get it to a shop. Don’t want to tow it.

Just take it to a shop as is. Toe kills tires, not camber and you're not going to get that anywhere near correct without the right tools.

Awest623

A juicy girl got me, again
Reaction score
Eyeball it and carefully drive straight to the shop

Sent from my Samsung S20 using Tapatalk

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you suspect your toe is way off, you can tape measure between the front and back of the tires and see if they're close. Adjust the tie rods as needed to get it within 1/4" and that'll get you to the tire shop. Camber will wear old style bias ply tires, but radials are less susceptible, which is why they became preferred.

Reaction score
This is old, but I'm curious if you learned anything. I'm about to replace upper and lower control arms - mainly for ball joints, but w/208K miles I'll get new bushings too.
I think there are some "offset washers" or an eccentric used to adjust camber/caster on control arm bolts going through the bushings. I'm going to mark the position.
Glad I found this site... I REALLY like my $900 V6/overdrive '93 1500 and look forward to tightening up the front end. New tie rod ends/other pivoting parts got rid of minor shimmy that's been wearing left tire.
Will get some alignment tools as suggested by SC111 above. Was planning on making some stuff (may still strap some angle aluminum to front tires to measure toe vs paying $35 for a tool). To check camber, I was going to cut wood to put against the wheel/space a vertical level away from the tire, but need to take ground level into account.
I'll still take it in for a pro-alignment, but need to find a good shop. My buddy sold his Midas shop six months ago and I don't trust the new guys based on listening to them with other customers when I got a safety inspection.

Last edited: