Camaro T5 in 1995 chevy truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Klassickarguy

Reaction score
Currently have c1500 regular cab 2 wheel drive and NV3500 is locked up and needs total rebuild. I have a a rebuilt late 80's t5 out of an IROC Z.

Part 2 is that same tpi engine out of a camaro is going in this truck and I am wondering if I can transplant both into my truck.

Anyone ever put a t5 in one of these trucks? If so any advice is appreciated. I know the shifter is in a totally different place (further back) but we are switching to buckets.

Or any suggestions on where to find an NV3500 or something equivalent without spending a fortune.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's the weight difference between a 1500 truck and the Camaro? The tq is probably similar between the motors.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I'm guessing this TPI is a 305? The T5 is not known for its strength, I'd be hesitant to run it in a truck. That said, I did run one for a few years in my Crown Victoria and it did fine. It had a 5.0 HO with Exploder GT40P top end.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever put a t5 in one of these trucks? If so any advice is appreciated.
I'll give you the same advice I give anyone who uses the phrase "T5" in relation to "installing in a vehicle".

Screw it to the truck with wing-nuts, so when it shatters, you don't need tools to replace it.

The T5 "World Class" is a world-class piece of crap. They explode when used behind V-6s in pony cars. As always, if you have unlimited time, money, effort, and enthusiasm, you can spend a fortune on aftermarket parts that sort-of cure the many problems inherent in the design.

Or you could put a REAL transmission in in the first place, and eliminate a heaping pile of headaches.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
GM never put a T5 behind a 5.7 in an F body. I’ve seen them get hammered n survive, but think a lot depends on the driver. Everyone thought I was stupid for putting a 454 with a Saginaw 4-speed in my 79 Malibu. Rear went before trans did...

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
GM never put a T5 behind a 5.7 in an F body. I’ve seen them get hammered n survive, but think a lot depends on the driver. Everyone thought I was stupid for putting a 454 with a Saginaw 4-speed in my 79 Malibu. Rear went before trans did...
Agreed, but there were a couple of 5.7/T-5 IROC swaps running around SoCal when I was a teenager. That was about the only way the IROCs were gonna beat the 5.0 foxbodies, stock for stock. Different times back then....
Not saying it's a good idea, or even likely to hold up, but if you got the parts already, fuuuuckeeeeit. Worst case you gotta get a better trans to put in it, which you gotta do anyway.