Cam Opinions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Alright everyone,

I've got a '97 ECSB 350 2wd with 200k miles and some change on her, runs like a top. Never missed any maintenance. Inherited from my grandpa when I got to college because he bought a 2012 GMC. I think the largest job on this truck has been the water pump replacement and some minor body work..lol.

When I graduate college I'm eventually going to yank the 350 out of her and stroke it to a 383. But I wanna go fast NOW. While a $3000-$5000 build is not in the cards right now, I can justify coughing up about a thousand bucks for a solid cam and supporting valve train components.

The two cams I've been thinking about are the LT4 hotcam and the Comp Cams Xtreme Energy XR-270-HR 08-422-8 [7]. Any experience running either of these? I'm willing to part ways with my stock torque converter, also. Of course to maximize this investment I will be in the market for some shorty headers and probably an H-pipe. I've got a cat back dumped behind the cab as of now.

Thanks for the input!

EmeraldGreenVortec