C3500 DRW + bed conversion.. on a cab chassis? With K parts?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Miles B

Reaction score
I've got a complete chassis from a 97 K3500 DRW.
I'm looking at buying a 99 C3500 SRW "cab/chassis" (according to the VIN). This is a 9000 lb, not the bigger cab/chassis trucks. I believe it's the C30903. I think this is just a pickup supplied without the bed??

In the long run, I'll move the cab onto the K frame, but in the short term I want to make the C3500 into a DRW.

I'm pretty sure I can move by K DRW bed onto the cab chassis. Anyone know different?

I measured the leaf spring width on the upfitter guide and it seems the same as my K leaf spring width, so I think the axle will go straight under. But I thought the cab/chassis DRW axle was narrower? Or is that referring to the HD cab/chassis (10/12/15k GVWR)

But my main question is the front wheels. I want to put the dually wheels onto the front of the C3500. Is there any chance the K dually spacer will work on the C hub? Probably not, right? The K rotor has the cutouts in it to seat the spacer properly.

Last edited:

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The C&C axle is narrower than the DRW, I'm positive I've read that the "14 bolt Bible."

I also believe the C&C frame is straight. It doesn't have the curve behind the cab like regular trucks that came with a bed. Therefore, I don't think a regular bed will fit the C&C frame. Maybe you can modify it though, don't know.

As far as the cabs, they are all the same as far as I know.

I don't know about front wheels...

Miles B

Reaction score
I reckon this truck is actually just a pickup that was supplied without a bed. The manual shows "chassis cab" only on the 10k+ trucks. They definitely have rails that tuck in right behind the cab and then run parallel all the way to the back. Much narrower than a pickup chassis. The VIN definitely shows this as a 9k truck.

The C3500 DRW rotor looks like a C3500 SRW rotor with the dually spacer cast onto it. I think there must be a reason why they did that instead of using the spacer like the K3500 DRW does. I found a local guy that stocks the C DRW rotors, so that gives me an option if the K DRW gear doesn't work.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Your going to want to consider your brakes....drw use thicker rotors, pads and larger calipers, but some srw vehicles use them too....extended cabs and late GMT-600 vans.

Miles B

Reaction score
That's a great point. I think I'm definitely looking at a pair of C DRW rotors for it. I've got the DRW calipers from the K to go on there.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I reckon this truck is actually just a pickup that was supplied without a bed. The manual shows "chassis cab" only on the 10k+ trucks. They definitely have rails that tuck in right behind the cab and then run parallel all the way to the back. Much narrower than a pickup chassis. The VIN definitely shows this as a 9k truck.

The C3500 DRW rotor looks like a C3500 SRW rotor with the dually spacer cast onto it. I think there must be a reason why they did that instead of using the spacer like the K3500 DRW does. I found a local guy that stocks the C DRW rotors, so that gives me an option if the K DRW gear doesn't work.

In the USAF we have SRW trucks with stake beds, bobtails, etc on the back. Not saying they weren't originally sold with beds, but seems unlikely to me that a narrow rail c&c srw truck wasn't a thing.