Bypassing AC and AP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have no idea how you can delete the A/C with just a shorter belt.

I have no idea why you'd delete the A/C at all.

IF (big IF) the A/C compressor doesn't work, the pulley bearing is probably OK. You don't need a compressor-eliminator pulley if the compressor pulley bearing is still in good condition. If the pulley bearing is seized, chances are you could replace the bearing and be OK.

The only way it makes sense to scrap the compressor altogether, is if the bearing AND the internal guts of the compressor have failed. Which is possible, but not likely.

I asked previously "why" you're trying to bypass the compressor, but got no reply.

Deleting ONLY the AIR pump can be done with a shorter belt. Again, it doesn't make sense if the AIR pump still works. So...WHY are you trying to bypass the AIR pump?

Chris D

Reaction score
I have no idea how you can delete the A/C with just a shorter belt.

I have no idea why you'd delete the A/C at all.

IF (big IF) the A/C compressor doesn't work, the pulley bearing is probably OK. You don't need a compressor-eliminator pulley if the compressor pulley bearing is still in good condition. If the pulley bearing is seized, chances are you could replace the bearing and be OK.

The only way it makes sense to scrap the compressor altogether, is if the bearing AND the internal guts of the compressor have failed. Which is possible, but not likely.

I asked previously "why" you're trying to bypass the compressor, but got no reply.

Deleting ONLY the AIR pump can be done with a shorter belt. Again, it doesn't make sense if the AIR pump still works. So...WHY are you trying to bypass the AIR pump?
Because he wants to.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Wanting to" is no excuse for doing something dumb.

I knew folks that had A/C, and deleted it to "save weight" and to "clean-up the engine compartment."

Within a year, they wished they still had the A/C system, but they weren't skilled enough to put it back on and make it work; in part because they threw away all the bits they took off.

It's his vehicle; if he's gonna do something regretable, that's his choice. But I don't have to help. I can point out the likely futility of it, though.

Last edited:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Let's try and keep the discussion moving in a constructive direction guys. OP's location is listed as somewhere in Canada, so maybe he doesn't need the AC too badly.