Bypassing AC and AP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dylan88

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello quick question. Is it possible to bypass the AC and air pump on a 88 chevy 1500 with the correct belt or do you need the aftermarket pulley in place for the AC?

Dariusz Salomon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hello quick question. Is it possible to bypass the AC and air pump on a 88 chevy 1500 with the correct belt or do you need the aftermarket pulley in place for the AC?
Tho Idk for sure I'd check if 88 era trucks were released without ac and if yes,then I see nothing against. Mind you-AC compressor is a pulley if clutch is not engaged-unless yours is seized even in"off"position.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to bypass the AC and air pump on a 88 chevy 1500 with the correct belt or do you need the aftermarket pulley in place for the AC?
They did come w/o A.I.R. and A/C but, I think maybe you'll need an idler pulley to get around the water pump?

You must be registered for see images attach

Canadian Rust Bucket

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The simplest solution for the A/C is the bypass pulley. It keeps the belt correctly oriented on the other pulleys, since you need the grooved side of the belt to make contact with the grooved pulleys. It's $100 to not have any cobbled together ******** and the associated headaches. It takes maybe ten minutes to install.

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
The simplest solution for the A/C is the bypass pulley. It keeps the belt correctly oriented on the other pulleys, since you need the grooved side of the belt to make contact with the grooved pulleys. It's $100 to not have any cobbled together ******** and the associated headaches. It takes maybe ten minutes to install.
It is only $21.99 at rock auto. Part number SK34174, or you can just buy the shorter belt that a non A/C truck comes with.

Jeepwalker

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mine doesn't have an air pump. Someone might have deleted it before I bought it ...or it never came with one, I'll have to look. It does have the AC though. Air pumps take almost no power to operate, but you probably know that.