Buick roadmaster LT1 swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bustedknuckles

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
question for yall. Uncle passed away about 2 yrs ago and left several cars. I am gifted them all. Mostly nothing worth much s10, Nissan and Mazda trucks, tempo or mercury equivalent. Anyway the one that peaked my interest is the roadmaster. After a little research I found that it it an LT1 engine and 4l60. The engine is the same i had in my caprice 9c1, police package car. To me I loved it. Great running torque engine. It has been setting for avout 4 yrs and has 88000 original miles. My question is will my new 4l60e transmission thats in my truck work behind the 350. What all would I need to change, computer, wiring? It is complete so I won't have to search for anything? Any advice? With the 4.3 having nearly 200000 on it while still running great it is getting tired. I'd like more power and just thought maybe someone may have advice. Again thanks for everyone's help.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I agree with df2x4..... if it's in any kind of shape resembling, good, keep the Roadmaster together. I've never driven the late B-body, but I've got a 69, and I grew up with an 83.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
s10, Nissan and Mazda trucks, tempo or mercury equivalent. Anyway the one that peaked my interest is the roadmaster... ...Any advice? With the 4.3 having nearly 200000 on it while still running great it is getting tired. I'd like more power and just thought maybe someone may have advice. Again thanks for everyone's help.
SELL the S10, Nissan, Mazda, Tempo and Roadmaster. SELL the 4.3 truck. End your engine-swap headaches.

BUY a GMT400 with a Vortec 5.7L or 7.4L engine, or a GMT800 with LS power, use the extra money to fix up any problems.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SELL the S10, Nissan, Mazda, Tempo and Roadmaster. SELL the 4.3 truck. End your engine-swap headaches.

BUY a GMT400 with a Vortec 5.7L or 7.4L engine, or a GMT800 with LS power, use the extra money to fix up any problems.

I second this. An 88k mile Roadmaster that is clean or can be made so is going to fetch a lot more money than the swap is worth. I know a couple of days of intense cleaning and polishing of paint can make even a poorly maintained vehicle pop. Sell em all off and buy what you really want, and use the rest of the money for mods.

bustedknuckles

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

I can sell it all but I can't sell my truck. Ive had it longer than I've had anything in my life. Besides that it is reg. Cab short bed and totally rust free. Never had an issue with the truck until this year. I rebuilt the transmission about 2 months ago and just put a new a/c compressor on and complete charge. With the exception of loose steering and worn shocks the truck is in great shape. The 4.3 still runs good with no issues at all but it does seem to be getting a little weak. Finding a similar truck in my area is near impossible and in demand and bring a very high price. Mostly everything is 4 wheel drive also. I am in the process of getting parts together for lowering the truck. This is another reason I haven't replaced the shocks yet. The Roadmaster is a complete car and in reasonably good shape. I just thought I could use the engine and anything else needed for the swap and would be all the power I needed. I can part out the rest and make money for anything else for the truck. Ive researched and really can't find any interest in the roadmaster as a whole in my area. I dont know that what I could sell the car for would be a trade off for just using what I need from it. Im just up in the air about what to do. I thought it just made sense.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd sell everything except the Roadmaster, and do that swap.

98 Nitro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sell them all but the truck, then buy a 350/383 Chevy block and build it how you want.