Budget modifications for the diy er

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

k1500 97

Hoonigan
Reaction score
So far i recently did a air box delete on my 97 k1500. I have noticed a 3 to 4 mpg gain. I created this thread to see what everyone else has come up with and willing to share. Ill share as soon as i figure what else i can do without killing the bank. Thanks for all who reply. I try to respond asap.

Heres a pic. I used a 2 inch fernco quick connect from a hardware store only cost 3$. Very easy to install. Makes the truck have better throttle response.

Attachments

• 20230726_202551.jpg
    20230726_202551.jpg
    249.5 KB · Views: 55

Boots97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
@boy&hisdogs did a brake upgrade on his truck. He used 2500/3500 calipers, 1500 pads, and 2500/3500 wheel cylinders in his truck. You want to replace the wheel cylinders and calipers at the same time or they won't lock up in tandem. This will be the next upgrade for me when my brake components wear out.

99xcss4

frank'n (truburban) K-2500
Reaction score
I should have told you this in your other post wen you showed that what you removed was a resinator/silenser not an air the air box is what your air filter is in what you took off most people call the vortec box because it says vortec on it and it looks like a box

Boots97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not a mod, but it freshens up your vehicle a TON. I'm working on restoring my headlights/taillights on my truck. Follow the links that myself and materials suggested by the other forum members and you can get some FANTASTIC results.

k1500 97

Hoonigan
Reaction score
I should have told you this in your other post wen you showed that what you removed was a resinator/silenser not an air the air box is what your air filter is in what you took off most people call the vortec box because it says vortec on it and it looks like a box
Yea thats my bad. on another forum i was a part of b4 this one bit my head off because i said silenser box. And they said no thats a air box. But thats why i like this forum. Nice people like yall.

k1500 97

Hoonigan
Reaction score
Not a mod, but it freshens up your vehicle a TON. I'm working on restoring my headlights/taillights on my truck. Follow the links that myself and materials suggested by the other forum members and you can get some FANTASTIC results.

Yea i know to me it feels like a mod. Because its not stock anymore. Hahaha. Yes i have been following your headlight sanding. Im looking into doing mine. Well actually looking to dual beem swap it. I know a salvage yard that has a set like brand new b4 the dude got rear ended.

Boots97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yea i know to me it feels like a mod. Because its not stock anymore. Hahaha. Yes i have been following your headlight sanding. Im looking into doing mine. Well actually looking to dual beem swap it. I know a salvage yard that has a set like brand new b4 the dude got rear ended.

If you can snag dual beam headlights, do it. They're not getting any easier to find.

Also. PLEASE DO NOT use Dorman parts. The lug nuts are OK but everything else from them is complete trash on these trucks. Use AC Delco or GM Genuine parts as much as possible. Use aftermarket if it has a reputable company behind it (O'Reilly's and Autozone have good store brand parts, I've used them on many vehicles, including this one) or if GM doesn't make the parts anymore and aftermarket is all you got. Also look at the treasure yard, Amazon and eBay for discontinued GM parts.

Every Dorman part with the exception of lug nuts I have replaced. I have a rant thread about it here:

k1500 97

Hoonigan
Reaction score
If you can snag dual beam headlights, do it. They're not getting any easier to find.

Also. PLEASE DO NOT use Dorman parts. The lug nuts are OK but everything else from them is complete trash on these trucks. Use AC Delco or GM Genuine parts as much as possible. Use aftermarket if it has a reputable company behind it (O'Reilly's and Autozone have good store brand parts, I've used them on many vehicles, including this one) or if GM doesn't make the parts anymore and aftermarket is all you got. Also look at the treasure yard, Amazon and eBay for discontinued GM parts.

Every Dorman part with the exception of lug nuts I have replaced. I have a rant thread about it here:

Yea i know correct me if im wrong split beams where only the 88 89 model right. Only 2 year production.