Broken Rear drive shaft Help....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Style

Reaction score
Hi guys, always been a lurker here i love tutorials and post they are interesting

but tonight i need your help...... i was about 4 corner to my house doing donuts in the snow when......

sadly i decided to do a burnout like the usual... teeeheee... and the rear drive shaft exploded at the slip yoke... so i pulled it away put it in 4wd and drove it home very slowly ( was painful to hear the rest of the driveshaft knocking everywhere but i only had 3-4 min of drive to do so...

now its its the driveway its minus 30 and i dont know what to do.... i did some search some people say its fine to run in FWD to get parts but some say not.....

there is a seal on the yoke so my mind keep telling me if there is no pressure on the yoke fluid will puke out and fry the tranny right?

i wish i could move it around to get a new driveshaft from the junk yard a new seal and ujoints..... yoke dosent seem to be damage.....

thanks alot guys im from Quebec....... friends with truck are rare..... they all drive subarus and stupid fwd :(

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
If it was me I'd duct tape up the output shaft on the transfer case and drive to the junk yard

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Transfer case and trans, while take the same fluid, do not share fluid. ^^^+1 use some decent tape and tape off the output shaft hole in the back of the transfer and ease it over there in 4x4. When you get your driveshaft installed, check your transfer case fluid, you will more than likely loose some, but it would work fine for 1 trip.

Style

Reaction score
Okay my friend let me use his garage tonight but couldnt do Ha... i think its the originals ujoints and truck has 260k kilometers on it, couldnt figure at the time it was nylon injected

but i have a question for you 98_k1500 is it really the rear driving shaft we talking about... ? cuz mine goes in a transmission for sure.

Style

Reaction score
aww im retarded sorry its the transfer case for sure at the back... thanks everyone.... getting this assembled tomorrow got my 5.9 jeep insurances so i got the part with it !!! hooray 305 back to life!!

Style

Reaction score
Anyone know if there is a seal on the slip yoke that go into the transfer case? cant seem to find one dont know if i lost it on the road :S