Broken blower motor surround

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike Mutton

Reaction score
has anyone replaced the part of the heater box that the blower motor bolts to? Mine broke today and it looks like it’s 4 screws holding to to the rest of the heater box/heater core surround.

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I hope an AC / Heat expert will chime in and let you know how difficult that part might be to get out of there. If it involves pulling the whole thing I would take a long look at fiberglass / bondo / or good old JB weld as possible fixes.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Pretty sure you're gonna have to pull the whole box out. Each big piece of that box kind of interconnects with a lip into the next piece, or at the very least, has screws you can't get to while the box is in the truck. It's been a few years since I took one apart but I am fairly certain you won't be able to get it apart in place.

To get the box out you'll be evacuating the refrigerant, disconnecting all the lines, and pulling your dashboard. Not fun. As Eveready said I'd look at trying to fix it in-place.

Devcon Plastic Welder glue works pretty well on plastics. Think about using something non-stick like thick ziploc bags or anti-static bags that electronics come in, as well as blocks of wood, c-clamps, etc. to make "forms" if needed so that your repaired area comes out nice and flat if it's in an area that it will matter.

Pics of the broken area maybe?

Richard

redfishsc

Tired of fixing lousy engineering.
Reaction score
I think I'd be doing what they suggest above. Some Devcon plastic weld should help.

I'm sure with some ingenuity you can use liquid nails (solvent based), a little spray foam, and/or epoxy to seal it up.

Just don't let the crap dribble into your eyes if you are working upside down lol

joep88cheyenne

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oatey black abs cement will work. Use the fiberglass screen drywall tape for support. Have used it on cycle fairings, and my heater core housing repair. Run a fan if you use it it can make you loopy sniffing fumes.

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The best luck I have had with plastic is actually welding it. I have a flat tip that came with my soldering iron that is about 3/8 " diameter , I use it to weld broken headlamp mounts, bumper covers ,washer bottles so I am sure it will work on your blower case. I use the side or the tip fist and just plunge it across the break every 1/16th of an inch so it looks like a normal mig weld almost then lay the tip flat and run it over the weld slowly to flatten it out. They do sell plastic welders at Harbor Freight but I havn't tried them.

Mike Mutton

Reaction score
Pretty sure you're gonna have to pull the whole box out. Each big piece of that box kind of interconnects with a lip into the next piece, or at the very least, has screws you can't get to while the box is in the truck. It's been a few years since I took one apart but I am fairly certain you won't be able to get it apart in place.

To get the box out you'll be evacuating the refrigerant, disconnecting all the lines, and pulling your dashboard. Not fun. As Eveready said I'd look at trying to fix it in-place.

Devcon Plastic Welder glue works pretty well on plastics. Think about using something non-stick like thick ziploc bags or anti-static bags that electronics come in, as well as blocks of wood, c-clamps, etc. to make "forms" if needed so that your repaired area comes out nice and flat if it's in an area that it will matter.

Pics of the broken area maybe?

Richard
It literally ripped out the motor from the plastic, I think it had been cracked from someone kicking it(previous owner) and it’s been -30C here and it all let go. From what I can see there are 4 screws that attach that part of the box around the heater core. Maybe I’ll go to the junk yard and try to get one off with the dash on.