Brakes won't bleed fluid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

redfishsc

Tired of fixing lousy engineering.
Reaction score
1999 K1500 Suburban 5.7l, not hydro boost.

Two problems, not sure if related or not.

We were bleeding the brakes to remove the old dark brown fluid. Got the MC reservoir slurped out, wiped down, refilled.

1) Cannot get fluid to bleed from passengers front caliper using Mityvac or using a helper to press the brakes. Not a drop, and no air either. Skipped the drivers side for lack of daylight and time since I can't bleed the passenger side anyhow.

2) Can ONLY bleed rear drums with a helper pumping the brakes. Mityvac does nothing. Pulls no fluid at all. We bled both rear drums with my son pressing the pedal and me calling cadence while opening/closing the screw.

Note, I did have a brick under the pedal to keep him from going to the floor. This is an old MC and I don't want to damage the piston seal by extending it further than it normally would go

Final note. Whatever whackadoodle owned this truck before it went to the impound lot left the damned felt brake fluid bottle seal INSIDE the MC reservoir. I pulled it out with the turkey baster. It was in the large portion of the MC which is for the front brakes. Unbelievable stupid. The pad looked fully intact so I doubt pieces are floating through my brake lines.

BTW, brakes actually feel fine on this truck. They stop it just fine, no pulling to the side, and ABS works like a champ on ice.

I just need to bleed the front passenger caliper via any method and also would like to know why I can't bleed any brakes with the Mityvac

redfishsc

Reaction score
To answer an obvious question "are you using the Mityvac properly".... I'm attaching it to the bleeder screw, pulling about 20" of vacuum, and cracking open the bleeder. It will pull air slowly around the screw threads but not a drop of fluid . Forgot about using grease to seal around the bleeder, but you'd think I would have been able pull at least a little fluid.

redfishsc

Reaction score
Have you removed the bleeders completely and made sure the are not plugged up?

Not yet, although I obviously need to. I was running out of time and I was afraid that removing the bleeder completely might let air into the lines, and I have to drive this to work tomorrow.