Brake pedal height

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

96z71sas

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have 96 k2500 the brake pedal is so much higher than gas I'm pretty tall so I gotta pick whole leg up and bend knee sideways is there any way to ajust this or swap it for different year any help greatly appreciated thanks

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No spacer and the break pedal is in the proper height?
1988 K1500 regular cab

Vacuum booster bolts directly to firewall. Replaced booster ~20 years ago, new (rebuilt) booster bolted directly to firewall. Replaced booster two weeks ago, upgraded from "small" 1/2-ton booster to one from an extended cab--bigger booster, bigger master cylinder. Bigger booster bolts directly to firewall.

Easy to see the brake pedal touching the brake light switch.

1997 K2500 extended cab
Hydroboost unit bolts directly to firewall. Under-dash is totally different from '88; I can't tell what sets the pedal height, or where the brake light switch is.

The brake pedal is always higher than the gas pedal, on every vehicle I've ever driven. During a "normal" stop, the brake pedal gets pushed so it's still maybe an inch above the idle position of the gas pedal. I can pull the pedal "higher", but when I let go, it drops to the usual at-rest position where the brake-light switch is touching the pedal but the brake lights aren't lit. Gotta push the pedal slightly to activate the brake lights.

I'm thinking that if your brake lights work properly...the pedal is where it's supposed to be.

Last edited:

Dubs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
1988 K1500 regular cab

Vacuum booster bolts directly to firewall. Replaced booster ~20 years ago, new (rebuilt) booster bolted directly to firewall. Replaced booster two weeks ago, upgraded from "small" 1/2-ton booster to one from an extended cab--bigger booster, bigger master cylinder. Bigger booster bolts directly to firewall.

1997 K2500 extended cab
Hydroboost unit bolts directly to firewall. Under-dash is totally different from '88; I can't tell what sets the pedal height.

The brake pedal is always higher than the gas pedal, on every vehicle I've ever driven. During a "normal" stop, the brake pedal gets pushed so it's still maybe an inch above the idle position of the gas pedal. The brake pedal height is set by the rubber bumper the brake pedal lever hits on; or by the brake light switch. My '88 seems to use the brake-light switch as the upper limit of travel.

Maybe you're missing a rubber bumper under the dash, or the brake-light switch isn't adjusted properly.

I know my 92 has the 2 to 2.5" spacer between the fire wall and booster. The rod from the booster sets your pedal height.

Dubs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Interesting. So they changed something between 89 and 92 or the c1500 rcsb uses a different set up.