Brake light Switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Jesus, I couldnt decide where to put this. Brakes/ electronics......

Anyways move if needed.

I recently picked up a 98 GMC 1500 And the Brake lights dont work. ( everything else does) So I bought a Brake light switch. I dont know if the one on the truck has been removed or what. But I can't find it.

Where the hell is this thing located? How do I get to it? If its missing what am I looking for/where is it by.

I tried searching and I read behind the brake pedal. theres nothing there. I searched online I read some where it was in the column but that doesn't seem rite...

Help?

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
its a ***** to get at, its on the pedal arm up top where the rod goes to the brake booster under the dash
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
X2 they are a ***** to get at on the 95+ models. It's been a while, but like badazzbulldog said, they are located on the brake pedal linkage

Reaction score
OK found the location, Theres nothing there and the rod is just "on" ( I have not had this truck on the road yet I'm bringing it back to life ) Now I located it and the little "clip" But there is no plug/harness ANY WHERE. Any Idea's?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Found the wiring harness. Cut and sitting underneath of the seat in the truck. So now its time to remove the steering column, Trace the wires, extend and splice them back on. and hope it works.

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
Wow, good luck man...hope that fixes it. And when you're putting the new switch on be careful with the little e-clip, its a ***** to get on and can fly off if you dont get it on all the way

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
Wow, good luck man...hope that fixes it. And when you're putting the new switch on be careful with the little e-clip, its a ***** to get on and can fly off if you dont get it on all the way

they dont use a e clip, it is kind of a s clip that has a tang to it to keep it from coming off, easy to get on but a real pain to get off

Reaction score
The clip seems to be there still on the end of the rod. Maybe one of the previous hack's, Oops I mean owners, broke the other brake switch off and cut the wires because they were to stupid to fix it correctly. Wont take me long to do, I'm just feeling lazy.

strikk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
that switch was worn out when i bought my '98 k1500, it only had 120k on it.

Do you have a son or a little brother? he'll be worth the icecream trip after

If the switch is busted, its only 10 bucks at the local parts store