Brake Light Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WLester401

Reaction score
Recently bought a 1995 GMC C1500 and just started having some issues with the brake lights and other random electrical gremlins. Seems like the brake lights periodically work, and when I turn on the wipers (when those work) the brake lights go on too.
One of the previous owners did a pretty bad job of wiring some mods, so there are some random wires hanging around, so that might be one possible solution? No clue.
Any ideas?

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My bet would be on a bad ground but with the hatchet job on the wiring done by the PO you may have a hard time finding it. I guess tracing the hack work and making sure it does what it is intended to do would be the first step along with going down the list of chassis ground points and making sure they are all solid. Good luck and please let us know what you come up with.

brianmcb

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yup. Check the grounds for your brake light relay. Had similar problem with my wipers/brake lights.

95 rcsb, L33 5.3, hot cam, frost tune, 5spd, 4/6

WLester401

Reaction score
Alright. I'll check it out when I get a chance later today and see what happens. Thanks

WLester401

Reaction score
Update: checked the grounds and one was a bit rusty, but other than that everything was good there.
However, when the ignition is turned on the lights switch (lights stay on, goes off when pedal is pushed) and the wipers dont work anymore.
Man, wiring sucks...