Brake drums 10 inch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Xxl2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 97 c 1500 with 10 inch brake drums. Been having a soft pedal thankful today was warm enough to to open them and look at it. I found my shoes in bad shape one side was cracking and the other side was okayish. I am going to do all new hardware and adjusters on them Also for shoes will go with Acdelco rivited shoes. My drums are smooth didnt really feel a ridge Think i can reuse those? Also this has the stock master cylinder thing i should upgrade to the new body style master cylinder?

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Best available. Order from Home Depot and they ship free!
You must be registered for see images attach

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I guess I took a picture of wrong box! :crazy:
You must be registered for see images attach

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 97 c 1500 with 10 inch brake drums. Been having a soft pedal thankful today was warm enough to to open them and look at it. I found my shoes in bad shape one side was cracking and the other side was okayish. I am going to do all new hardware and adjusters on them Also for shoes will go with Acdelco rivited shoes. My drums are smooth didnt really feel a ridge Think i can reuse those? Also this has the stock master cylinder thing i should upgrade to the new body style master cylinder?

@Schurkey knows a great deal about brakes, hopefully he’ll comment.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the record the fronts have an HH friction rating, the rears are a typical FF. From what I understand the rears should be lower than front brakes.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 97 c 1500 with 10 inch brake drums. Been having a soft pedal thankful today was warm enough to to open them and look at it. I found my shoes in bad shape one side was cracking and the other side was okayish. I am going to do all new hardware and adjusters on them Also for shoes will go with Acdelco rivited shoes. My drums are smooth didnt really feel a ridge Think i can reuse those?
IF (big IF) you had a 6-lug wheel, I'd tell you that as far as I'm concerned, those 254mm (10 inch) Leading/Trailing shoe brakes aren't worth fixing. Find a decent Treasure Yard, and grab the 11.x backing plates, wheel cylinders, shoes, drums, etc. Remove 254mm Leading/Trailing shoe brakes, install 11.x" Duo-Servo brakes using new parts as required. Instant upgrade in brake power, with minimal downside, not much expense, and the Duo-Servo design actually adjusts properly, for long-term satisfaction.

But things are more complex on the 5-lug trucks. I guess it's basically impossible to find the equivalent 5-lug drums. At any rate, I've never looked into that. You may be "stuck" dealing with the horrible 254mm Leading/Trailing shoe brakes.

While you're under the vehicle, make sure the park brake cables apply and RELEASE like they're supposed to. Most park brakes don't release, and some are so bad that they won't apply. USING the park brake frequently is critical for keeping the 254mm rear drum brakes in proper adjustment. Almost nobody uses the park brake frequently. GM should have been sued for using the Leading/Trailing brakes.

You'll need a decent scan tool to properly bleed the ABS unit when you're done.

Also this has the stock master cylinder thing i should upgrade to the new body style master cylinder?
HELL, NO!

The so-called "NBS" master cylinder is NOT compatible with the low-drag calipers on the front of your truck. The bore is too large, it throws away hydraulic advantage. Not such a problem with the power booster working, but if the booster fails...it's gonna take real muscle to push the pedal hard enough. The proper master cylinder has a gigantic 3rd chamber in addition to the usual 1" or 1 1/8" primary and secondary pistons. The big third chamber provides a high-volume, low-pressure gush of fluid to the calipers to get the pistons/pads against the rotor. Then the small-bore section of the master provides high pressure with moderate pedal effort to actually stop the vehicle.

Last edited:

Xxl2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
IF (big IF) you had a 6-lug wheel, I'd tell you that as far as I'm concerned, those 254mm (10 inch) Leading/Trailing shoe brakes aren't worth fixing. Find a decent Treasure Yard, and grab the 11.x backing plates, wheel cylinders, shoes, drums, etc. Remove 254mm Leading/Trailing shoe brakes, install 11.x" Duo-Servo brakes using new parts as required. Instant upgrade in brake power, with minimal downside, not much expense, and the Duo-Servo design actually adjusts properly, for long-term satisfaction.

But things are more complex on the 5-lug trucks. I guess it's basically impossible to find the equivalent 5-lug drums. At any rate, I've never looked into that. You may be "stuck" dealing with the horrible 254mm Leading/Trailing shoe brakes.

While you're under the vehicle, make sure the park brake cables apply and RELEASE like they're supposed to. Most park brakes don't release, and some are so bad that they won't apply. USING the park brake frequently is critical for keeping the 254mm rear drum brakes in proper adjustment. Almost nobody uses the park brake frequently. GM should have been sued for using the Leading/Trailing brakes.

You'll need a decent scan tool to properly bleed the ABS unit when you're done.

HELL, NO!

The so-called "NBS" master cylinder is NOT compatible with the low-drag calipers on the front of your truck. The bore is too large, it throws away hydraulic advantage. Not such a problem with the power booster working, but if the booster fails...it's gonna take real muscle to push the pedal hard enough. The proper master cylinder has a gigantic 3rd chamber in addition to the usual 1" or 1 1/8" primary and secondary pistons. The big third chamber provides a high-volume, low-pressure gush of fluid to the calipers to get the pistons/pads against the rotor. Then the small-bore section of the master provides high pressure with moderate pedal effort to actually stop the vehicle.
Thanks for the info saved me a head ache. Fist i wish i had six lug i have 5. I even have a nice axle out of a 2500 that a friend would put in for me but its six lug. I cant find 11 inch drums so i am stuck with the sucky 10s. Ill remember that about the parking break Yeah i am the nobody who never uses it.

As for upgrade the master forget that. I patched up the brakes and could tell they were working better. Ill just save the hundered I dont want the boster going out on my dad he wouldn't be able to stop. I am really starting not to like these two wheel drive trucks

thank you again

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Thanks for the info saved me a head ache. Fist i wish i had six lug i have 5. I even have a nice axle out of a 2500 that a friend would put in for me but its six lug. I cant find 11 inch drums so i am stuck with the sucky 10s. Ill remember that about the parking break Yeah i am the nobody who never uses it.

As for upgrade the master forget that. I patched up the brakes and could tell they were working better. Ill just save the hundered I dont want the boster going out on my dad he wouldn't be able to stop. I am really starting not to like these two wheel drive trucks

thank you again
Burb and maybe Tahoe have the bigger brakes (JB6) and C1500 series Burb has the stuff you need to do this swap. Most of them will probably be 3.42 ratio though. If that's not an issue, swap the rear axle wheel to wheel....
My Burb stops great with JB6 stock setup, even loaded.