Bowtie Brody's Namesake 96 454

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'll be buying new injectors no matter what; I don't trust junkyard parts like that.

@Mangonesailor, I'm starting to think I may slap a cam in if it is indeed my timing cover leaking; there's a small oil spot that shows up once I park it for a while; so I figure if that needs replaced, might as well slap in a 454HO cam, Comp adjustable valvetrain, and maybe a set of Scorpion roller rockers like I've previously mentioned....maybe.
--------
In other news regarding the truck; I tried to recharge the A/C today with the help of a friend's dad; only to discover my compressor isn't kicking on. After test lighting both switches, trying to jump connectors, and a slew of other shadetree wiring, we hotwired it straight to the battery temporarily, charged the system up to 40 pounds and voila, she kicked right over and was blowing ice cubes within about 2 minutes.

So that brings me to this, where do I go to get my A/C compressor working? I'll be de-looming and untapping the harness to see if possibly I pinned one of the wires incorrectly, but I'm 97.75% sure everything was correct. Anyone got any suggestions?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Now that it's charged, the compressor won't kick on automatically? And why the fudge have you been driving this thing all along without AC?

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Now that it's charged, the compressor won't kick on automatically? And why the fudge have you been driving this thing all along without AC?

Nope, won't kick on unless we hot wire it.
And I like to drive with my windows down. But with wanting to tint my windows, and put in a bunch of sound deadening material, it won't make sense to do all that but not have working air conditioning.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My bad. I meant that for Brody.

Playing around with mine it starts out around 42-45. Maybe I should try that and log it. Got some links to what you used? I know AEM makes a sensor/gauge combo that I'm eyeballing.

I just bought a cheap 0-5v pressure transducer off amazon (well 3 actually because i figured one would fail eventually since they're cheap) and a caspers 107133 adapter. Probably have $30 into it.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Okay checked pins, everything matches up, test-lighted and I'm getting power at the accumulator switch (I think that's what it is? The cylinder on the firewall,) but I'm not getting power at the compressor switch, could it just be a bad switch?
I'm beginning to think what my friend's dad suggested might be the cure, just run a separate feed right off the battery through a relay and a fuse to a switch in the cab, and then just toggle the compressor on and off from that.

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Okay checked pins, everything matches up, test-lighted and I'm getting power at the accumulator switch (I think that's what it is? The cylinder on the firewall,) but I'm not getting power at the compressor switch, could it just be a bad switch?
I'm beginning to think what my friend's dad suggested might be the cure, just run a separate feed right off the battery through a relay and a fuse to a switch in the cab, and then just toggle the compressor on and off from that.
So, the low pressure sensor should allow the compressor to run when charged. If you jump it it should run.

High pressure switch, shuts it off. Jump and it runs.

So you're getting 12v out of the ECU but nada at the plug of the compressor? Might be HVAC controller. If you're super duper careful you can take them apart. They're very gummy and greasey inside and fingers slip.

If you push on/off the a/c button real fast do you get anything? What about when the dial is set to defrost? What about at MAX? I have a spare in my garage I've been playing with sometimes... If you find the right combo I can probably figure out the failure. Could just be a component (mine is only good for the board... And it's part of an experiment I've been trying to do... I kinda need it)

And, uh, are your fuses good????

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So, the low pressure sensor should allow the compressor to run when charged. If you jump it it should run.

High pressure switch, shuts it off. Jump and it runs.

So you're getting 12v out of the ECU but nada at the plug of the compressor? Might be HVAC controller. If you're super duper careful you can take them apart. They're very gummy and greasey inside and fingers slip.

If you push on/off the a/c button real fast do you get anything? What about when the dial is set to defrost? What about at MAX? I have a spare in my garage I've been playing with sometimes... If you find the right combo I can probably figure out the failure. Could just be a component (mine is only good for the board... And it's part of an experiment I've been trying to do... I kinda need it)

And, uh, are your fuses good????

Fuses AND relays are good. I've learned my lesson (even though I must've checked both fuse boxes multiple times)
I'll **** around with the controller some after work tomorrow; I think I saw somewhere it's common for the controller to burn out?
We (friend's dad, friend, and me) just tried it with A/C set to max, and recirculate cycling,

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Still no A/C. Tried pulling out the control module today; I didn't see anything obvious, all the lights still work, could it be something internally?
I really don't want to have to comb through every wire related to the A/C to get this figured out; but if it comes down to it I guess I don't have a choice?

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You have 12v for the A/C clutch to use going to the controller?

I'm going to try and check power on everything again tonight, I wanted to yesterday but only got as far as pulling the controller out and visually inspecting it because rain started moving in.