Bowtie Brody's Namesake 96 454

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Why won't he at least try? It'd take 5 minutes to know whether or not the thing's coming out. You'd be out some labor is the only downside.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Why won't he at least try? It'd take 5 minutes to know whether or not the thing's coming out. You'd be out some labor is the only downside.

He was poking around and said there's a screw on the rotor shaft that's hidden under the lip of the intake; I haven't had a chance to check for myself to see, but he's done more work on Vortec 454s than I ever have.
----------------
Also @Mangonesailor, we got the scanner hooked up to the truck but it took two attempts, one with his Snap-On Solus scanner, it only accepted to read the truck as a 2001 C3500HD with an 8.1, but his old brick scanner only read as an Express van with the 8.1
Does it matter which one we use to perform a relearn? I don't want to accidentally brick the computer or something goes haywire in the relearn process.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
It comes out just like a 350 distributor, it's just a way bigger motor and no room back there. I want to say I did my distributor with the plenum off, but the lower was coming off anyway.

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
He was poking around and said there's a screw on the rotor shaft that's hidden under the lip of the intake; I haven't had a chance to check for myself to see, but he's done more work on Vortec 454s than I ever have.
----------------
Also @Mangonesailor, we got the scanner hooked up to the truck but it took two attempts, one with his Snap-On Solus scanner, it only accepted to read the truck as a 2001 C3500HD with an 8.1, but his old brick scanner only read as an Express van with the 8.1
Does it matter which one we use to perform a relearn? I don't want to accidentally brick the computer or something goes haywire in the relearn process.

I don't think it really matters, but i suppose just do it as an express van since that's what the truck thinks it is.

He's wrong on needing to pull the intake to swap dizzy's. I't s a 14mm bolt you have to loosen, then rotate and take the cap off. And it comes right on out of there. I think for it to slip behind the instake it has to be a little sidways, but it's easy. He just doesn't want to do it. I'm not aware of whatever hidden screw under the rotor he's talking about.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Haven't done much lately because the truck really doesn't need much; my mechanic said he didn't feel comfortable trying to replace the dizzy without pulling the intake.
Which if it does come down to it and he needs to open the intake up, I'll probably have some different injectors on stand by; anyone got any suggestions?
I do need to give the truck a complete fluid service, it's long past time for that I think.
You must be registered for see images attach

The distributor definitely comes out with the plenum on. I've done it.

As far as injectors go. Whatever mangone is running for 28s would be a good size. Anything 24-30 @3 bar would be good. Something from a gen 3 gm would be nice, makes the data easy.

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't think it really matters, but i suppose just do it as an express van since that's what the truck thinks it is.

He's wrong on needing to pull the intake to swap dizzy's. I't s a 14mm bolt you have to loosen, then rotate and take the cap off. And it comes right on out of there. I think for it to slip behind the instake it has to be a little sidways, but it's easy. He just doesn't want to do it. I'm not aware of whatever hidden screw under the rotor he's talking about.

The distributor definitely comes out with the plenum on. I've done it.

As far as injectors go. Whatever mangone is running for 28s would be a good size. Anything 24-30 @3 bar would be good. Something from a gen 3 gm would be nice, makes the data easy.

I did forget to say that you have to unplug and remove the coil/ignition module bracket from the back side of the plenum so you have the room to take it out. But that's just two bolts on their own as well. 9/16 or 13mm. I can never remember the size... so I just grab both every time.

The 28's I'm using are 0280155931 . I think they came out of a firebird? Bought them on ebay, had witchhunter clean and flow them. BUT 3 were clogged he found out, after cleaning they worked. Well... after goofing around with a diesel before I'd tuned one of them got stuck open, and I'd suspected that it was one that witchunter had unclogged. I swapped out all 3 previously clogged injectors with new-in-the-box bosch injectors that I got from Rockauto (And I changed my oil...). That worked. SO, be careful if you get junkyard injectors... have them tested. If they're clogged I wouldn't trust them, so you might want to get about 12 from a junkyard and have them all tested to make sure they're good. If they were clogged or performed funny... junk em'.

Here's what I have wrote down in my "databank" from the FSC thread, if you're shopping for injectors:
"
1986-’93: 22 lb/hr (43.5 psi)
1994-’96: 24 lb/hr (43.5 psi)
1990-’92 ZR-1: 20 lb/hr primary, 20 lb/hr secondary (2 per cylinder) (43.5 psi)
1993-’95 ZR-1: 20 lb/hr primary, 20 lb/hr secondary (2 per cylinder) (43.5 psi) (redesigned for ethanol resistance)
1997-’98 LS1: 28 lb/hr (58 psi) (maro/fbird 98 only) (Use L29 clips?)
1999-’00 LS1: 26 lb/hr
2001-’05 LS1/LS6: 28 lb/hr PN 0280155931 used in:

CADILLAC CTS 2004-2005

CHEVROLET CAMARO 2001-2002

CHEVROLET CORVETTE 2001-2004

PONTIAC FIREBIRD 2001-2002

PONTIAC GTO 2004

2005-up LS2: 33 lb/hr
2006-up LS7: 39 lb/hr
2008-up LS3: 41 lb/hr

LS1/LS6 engines all came equipped with Delphi EV1 injectors.
Different p/n's have different lb/hr rated injectors

12533952, 12482704, 12561462 are rated 28.6lb/hr @ 58psi.
12456154, 12555894 are rated 26.2lb/hr @ 58psi.

[ECM] 12311 - Injector Flow Rate vs. KPA VAC: This value is the Injector Flow rate. It is used to tell the VCM the size of the injectors and also how flow rate varies with manifold vacuum (ie. varying pressure characteristics).

BSFC: .42 FACTORY "

The BSFC is something I reverse calculated, just for the hell of it. Who know's if that's accurate but I figured I'd make note of it.

I have for-sure data for the 28's that I'm using, just in case you need it. I haven't looked for any files for other injectors and have never been able to find useful "beehive" injector data... but as long as it works i guess. Probably makes the VE table look weird.

Grand Prix GTP injectors FTW. 42# @ 4 bar and readily available at the junkyard.

If you have a cam in your future, this would definitely be a good idea. My duty cycle in my truck hits around 70-80%. But Like I said, my FPR is screwed up and I'm running like 3-3.5bar. Once I'm running the correct pressure I should see this decrease significantly.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I have a cam already, blower is what's in my future. The ASA LS1 came with those 42# injectors, so factory data exists for the GenIII LS PCM.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
+2 for the gtp injectors, that's what i'm running.

Also maybe try fuel injector clinic? They clean then flow test used injectors - supposedly.

Mangone, my at idle fuel pressure always sits 48-52 psi, i also though this was very strange.. so i installed a pressure transducer on the rail and tied it into the egr sensor. Turns out fuel pressure under high map ends up being in the 58-60 psi area. Wondering if yours does the same.

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a cam already, blower is what's in my future. The ASA LS1 came with those 42# injectors, so factory data exists for the GenIII LS PCM.

My bad. I meant that for Brody.

+2 for the gtp injectors, that's what i'm running.

Also maybe try fuel injector clinic? They clean then flow test used injectors - supposedly.

Mangone, my at idle fuel pressure always sits 48-52 psi, i also though this was very strange.. so i installed a pressure transducer on the rail and tied it into the egr sensor. Turns out fuel pressure under high map ends up being in the 58-60 psi area. Wondering if yours does the same.

Playing around with mine it starts out around 42-45. Maybe I should try that and log it. Got some links to what you used? I know AEM makes a sensor/gauge combo that I'm eyeballing.