Bowtie Brody's Namesake 96 454

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think I have BNielsen's just don't have my laptop with me.. I can look tomorrow.

I meant the "normal" value for the injection timing. For example my boundary value is 6.5, normal is 6.1.
I got mine from some stock file. Several say the same.

Lextechs also came with 6.5 but looking at tunes I found the 350s were set to that, so I set mine to what I found the 454's to be, not the express 350's

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mine:
You must be registered for see images attach

Brody's.

I was wrong, I did not change his already. Could've sworn I did.

This is a stock '00 K2500 with a 454:

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mine:

Brody's.

I was wrong, I did not change his already. Could've sworn I did.

This is a stock '00 K2500 with a 454:

So you have your normal value way earlier than Brodys.. I haven't tried going that early, maybe I should sometime..

Just some theory here, so someone argue with me if I'm wrong. For engines with different cams isn't the idea is to delay injection so youre not spraying while the exhaust valve is still open? The flip side is too late and your fuel won't have time to evaporate off the valve/walls, which hurts efficiency.

According to the calculators I've used my cam needs like 6.3 in the normal table with a couple degrees negative overlap at .050, so I worked from the stock 0411 values towards 6.1 that I have now.

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So you have your normal value way earlier than Brodys.. I haven't tried going that early, maybe I should sometime..

Just some theory here, so someone argue with me if I'm wrong. For engines with different cams isn't the idea is to delay injection so youre not spraying while the exhaust valve is still open? The flip side is too late and your fuel won't have time to evaporate off the valve/walls, which hurts efficiency.

According to the calculators I've used my cam needs like 6.3 in the normal table with a couple degrees negative overlap at .050, so I worked from the stock 0411 values towards 6.1 that I have now.

I think it has to do with the distance from the valve to the injectors. The 454's are further towards the centerline, the 350 spider injectors sit pretty close to the port.

@BNielsen , if you're in the mood for it next time we meet up for some tuninig I'd like to do some back to back logs with your truck with both injection timing setups. Maybe your average trims or injector duty cycle will change slightly? :shrug: There may be some benefit in drivability. I like the way mine responds anyways. Yours felt fine when we drove it with the "new" tune, but not being in the driver's seat I can't tell what's going on.

I also forgot to tell you Brody that the idle speed and timing that I run is actually due to me fiddling with the spark advance and idle speed like a carb'd car. I messed with them both until it made the max amount of vacuum and ran smooth. Then I blended all of my tables to stay at those values until moving. I believe I also did it in gear as well.

Last edited:

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
@Mangonesailor, yeah I'd totally be fine with that, I'm sorry we didn't have more time to work on the tune when we first got it up and running,

I did my first mileage check on the truck today after the 0411; 10.5, which is a step in the right direction compared to the 7-8 I was getting on the Black Box,

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
@Mangonesailor, yeah I'd totally be fine with that, I'm sorry we didn't have more time to work on the tune when we first got it up and running,

I did my first mileage check on the truck today after the 0411; 10.5, which is a step in the right direction compared to the 7-8 I was getting on the Black Box,
Good deal. Sounds like progress to me.

Your speedo correct? You can verify with GPS and see what the offset is with your ODO. It may be off and thus your fuel calc is off. It would be off anyways with the black box and larger tire size. Gotta take that into account.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good deal. Sounds like progress to me.

Your speedo correct? You can verify with GPS and see what the offset is with your ODO. It may be off and thus your fuel calc is off. It would be off anyways with the black box and larger tire size. Gotta take that into account.

Verified speedo with GPS, it's true and correct all the way up to 80, I didn't go any faster because of an odd shimmy I started to notice, I did have the black box corrected for the 285s.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Verified speedo with GPS, it's true and correct all the way up to 80, I didn't go any faster because of an odd shimmy I started to notice, I did have the black box corrected for the 285s.

In EFILive, that's as simply as selecting tire size in a drop down box, but it only makes it less wrong. I've had to correct both trucks' speedos via GPS to get the right, and even then they're not right everywhere, only where you calibrate it to be right. I set mine to be dead nuts of .5mph fast at 70. At 30, they read about 3 over.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
From what I've found, the speedos in these trucks aren't really accurate anyway.. I go by the speed shown by the PCM in HPTuners scanner, which IS dead on with my GPS for the most part - but my speedo reads almost 4-5 higher. I could just pull the needle off and reposition it, but it's probably more trouble than it's worth.