Bowtie Brody's Namesake 96 454

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do you know anyone with HP tuners that could pull your file and send it to me? I'd really like to know what's so different that the MAF is now magically giving you issues.

Furthermore, I don't know why your ABS light would be on. I think I had to double check my wiring once as well cause I found I'd put a pin or a set of pins in the wrong spot. I'm not saying you've done it wrong, but triple check the wiring tomorrow just to be sure again.

Can you take a look at PIDs with Torque and see any issues?

I don't know anyone with HPT, and I triple checked pins today; I got such a mess of wiring I'm halfway thinking about marking all the wires, de-pinning them, and starting the process over again.

I'm wondering if I've got a situation where the black box wasn't catching any issues; which might be why I'm just now getting codes for the MAF and the camshaft position sensor. I'm hoping that the rough idle is directly because of the MAF and not something else.

Also the fuel cutoff isn't near as bad as I thought it would be. I was expecting it to be like my dad's Duramax but it's not even that noticeable.

Did you unplug the EGR? I turned mine off but had to unplug it for it to take. Idled like it had a donkey dick cam and was a hard starting *****.

Yeah, that's the first thing I did. It starts up fine, it idled like it had a violent cam at first, but once I gave it some gas and let it sit it leveled out.
Also when I went to move it out of the garage, it kept wanting to die, it drove around the neighborhood just fine (aside from no speedo...)

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
OK, sounds like the truck had to learn new idle airflow values. None exist for the 454 with 411, mine are a mish mash of 350 and 496 values. Haven't taken the time to learn how to do it right just yet.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Did you solder the 2 VSS wires together? I pinned mine into the wrong plug by mistake.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm betting that the no speedo and the abs are connected.
+1 on this, gotta be an issue there. I don't remember messing with the vss on mine.. must be different for the older trucks?

A way to Data log what the fuel trims and other **** are doing would be really beneficial.

Last edited:

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I didn't solder because I didn't have anything for it, so I just used a crimp connector. No go.
So I got some of those crimp/soldiers/heat shrink connectors from NAPA. Hopefully those will do the trick.

I marked, deppinned and removed the 0411 today, I'm going to go about running wires differently so it doesn't look like ****. Is there any difference in MAFs between 350s and 454s?

I took my truck for another rip around the neighborhood and it kept wanting to die whenever I put it in reverse or drive, it drove just fine aside from the random bogging and the shift points are at like 3500 or something because I had to manually shift through the gears to make sure everything worked. Hopefully after re-repinning I can get these issues chased away and get it back on the road

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
If the tune you have has worked on other trucks, look real hard at your pinning. I ****** up the 1500 and applied lessons learned to the 3500 and was able to find my own mistakes. Haven't gotten one right on the first try yet but the asspain is worth it.

Stepside_fever95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also, @Stepside_fever95 swung by to check out the progress, give me some advice, and hang out for a bit, and I gotta admit, pictures don't do his Suburban justice, it's sharp as a tack, and sounds amazing with the 6.0L.
You must be registered for see images attach
Thanks man! It was a pleasure to meet you and see your truck! If the 350 maf will work, I'll bring my old one by sometime this week maybe so we can give it a try if it still gives issues.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If the tune you have has worked on other trucks, look real hard at your pinning. I ****** up the 1500 and applied lessons learned to the 3500 and was able to find my own mistakes. Haven't gotten one right on the first try yet but the asspain is worth it.

I went back through and actually did find one or two pins I had in the wrong spot, I just hope I can get it all put back together.