Bowtie Brody's Namesake 96 454

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You should contact the mods. I recently made a thread to bring to their attention that the site kept telling me I was logged out and it was just some handshake thing between my browser and their site.

Seems a lot of sites lately are slamming me with cookies too. Could be something new out that that has a bug they're unaware of.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
You should contact the mods. I recently made a thread to bring to their attention that the site kept telling me I was logged out and it was just some handshake thing between my browser and their site.

Seems a lot of sites lately are slamming me with cookies too. Could be something new out that that has a bug they're unaware of.

I think there was some sort of glitch yesterday, because right when he posted with the new profile, I had just had a hard time replying in another thread... kept getting told I didn't have permission, and it wasn't the build forum, and I wasn't logged out.

The cookie thing: I don't think you're getting more cookies, web sites have to notify you they they are using them to comply with a European Union rule. They actively blocked sites that weren't compliant, like big news sites... there were a few days where one of the big newspapers wasn't viewable in Europe because of it.... Washington Post maybe?

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

I sent like two emails trying to recover my password but haven't gotten a response. I might try to PM Shaggy or someone to get to the bottom of this.

Curt

Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.
Reaction score
Welp. For some reason I've been locked out of my old account, so I guess I'll be posting updates from this new account.

Figured something out with the mirrors; they aren't built the same way the other mirrors are. The lower convex mirrors are held on with screws instead of clips, so I order the clip conversion kit and replacement mirrors from Boost Auto, which means I need to cut the old mirrors open to get them apart.

I think I'm gonna give the diodes a try, I've been researching pretty intensely the past day or two so I think I might be able to take a crack at it.

I sent like two emails trying to recover my password but haven't gotten a response. I might try to PM Shaggy or someone to get to the bottom of this.
That sucks... hopefully @Shaggy will be able to help.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Update time; got my Black Bear PCM in, and the truck runs like a hot damn now! I need to buy all the block off plates for the EGR, and possibly start making choices for opening up the exhaust; Hedman or Gibson shorty headers, delete the catalytic converters or replace them with some high flowing ones, and finding some 3" tail pipes.
You must be registered for see images attach

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Update time; got my Black Bear PCM in, and the truck runs like a hot damn now! I need to buy all the block off plates for the EGR, and possibly start making choices for opening up the exhaust; Hedman or Gibson shorty headers, delete the catalytic converters or replace them with some high flowing ones, and finding some 3" tail pipes.

Worth every penny right?

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

TL;DR: Here's a bunch of tips for Gibson header install

I don't know if you've seen, but I have Gibson shorties on mine.

For our trucks, the driver's downpipe does not have the O2 bung welded into an ideal location. You can't get the sensor in and out with the pipe in. Furthermore, I believe there was an interference issue with the driver's downpipe too, so I had the exhaust shop cut up the new one to put joints in the right places. I also do not have catalytic converters, but I've heard (FSC.com?) that our cats are more than large enough to support 400hp. Your choice if you want to shell out $ for cats.

I had the rest of my exhaust fabbed up when I put my headers in. They didn't line up well to the old system, so I got to drive this sucker with open headers through town to drop it off. Turned a bunch of heads.

I don't have any other info on the hedmans, but I have the titanium coated gibsons. I can attest that my underhood temps aren't that bad with that coating applied. Its been 3-ish years since I've done it, and there's just a hint of rusty freckles starting to form. Per gibson, if they show up, just hit it with green scotch brite and that'll protect the coating but keep your headers nice and purdy. Also per gibson, before firing up the engine, spray down the headers with brake cleaner. Oils from your hands/engine will stain them and it can compromise the coating.

When you go to take the stock manifolds off, you'll break studs (if you haven't already got a couple broken) if you don't use heat to take them off and out. I used oxy-acetylene with a small torch tip (like a jewelers torch) to heat the nuts then tapped the threads with a candle stick. The principle is the air between the nut and stud will rapidly cool and draw the now liquefied wax into the threads and will lubricate them. The wicking action of the rust will also coat the rest of the stud. After doing this, reheat the nut a little and you can zip it right out off of there and not snap anything. I would also soak every joint you plan on touching with Kroil (You can get it at Oreilys) even if you plan on using that wax trick.

After the manifolds are off do the same trick to get the studs out.

When you go to put the headers on, there are head bolt heads that interfere with the gibson header flanges, you'll have to grind/file away at that spot to get them to fit.

I also used ARP studs with 12pt nuts to snug it all down. Heres a PN: 100-1403, or for regular 6pt nuts: 245-1311

Here's some wrench sizes too:
Manifold stud nuts: 9/16 socket and wrench
Stud: 1/4" wrench
Collector: 15mm deepwell
Double pipe Flange between cats: 17mm nut
ARP nuts: 7/16 12pt

My exhaust is built like this: 3" downpipes to ball/socket flanges, H-pipe with straight runs of pipe with magnaflow glasspacks to ball/socket flanges, 3" necked down to 2-3/4" (for proper backpressure for <350hp) to 4" tips. I make a lot of racket when my foot is in it, but I can sneak up behind my wife in the neighborhood when she's out walking.

And I would also get some DEI spark plug wire boots to keep them from getting too hot. I have Taylor silicone wires and they should be fine... but just in case I put boots on them.

Any questions?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You don't need to block off EGR if it's been disabled in the tune unless you really feel the need.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Worth every penny right?

Yup!

TL;DR: Here's a bunch of tips for Gibson header install
I don't know if you've seen, but I have Gibson shorties on mine.
Any questions?

I had no idea your truck had headers; I was planning on going with the raw headers and coating them in header paint; or do you recommend I shell out the extra cash?
The Hedman Headers are technically for the 88-95 TBI trucks, but with the EGR deleted I can run them; a few other people have done it this way I believe.
That sucks about the rest of the exhaust, I heard the Gibsons lined with the stock downpipe.