Bought my first truck back

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

21Actual

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, diddnt exactly buy it. I traded my 02 Civic with 320,000 kms to get her back.

My mom bought the truck new in 99, then sold it to me about 2 years ago. I got an offer on it and regretfully sold it. Wanted it back ever since. Was a great work/winter truck for me as my lifted chev gets put away in the winter.

In the time its been away from the the body has become a bit worse, but it now has a 350 instead of the 305 that was originally in it.

I found a pair of good front inner and outer fenders to fix up the front, but the rear has some issues. To be honest with myself, it needs an entire box. But Im not looking to restore the truck. I just need it to pass inspection, and want a repair that will last a few years and look half decent.

Heres what Im dealing with on both sides. Rotten from the crease in the body to about 3" above the top of the wheel arch.

You must be registered for see images attach

I cut away the worst of it to find the inner fender isnt so good either, (more cutting to be done. i just wanted to see how far the rust went) although Im not as concerned with that for now. Ill patch in what I can with some sheet metal to regain some structure for the replacement body panel.

You must be registered for see images attach

My question for those of you who have bought and used the weld in panels, there is two sizes. A smaller one that covers just the wheel arch area, and a big one that cover half the bed side and includes the skirt.
Do the smaller panels go down to where ive made the vertical cut at the crease, or will I need to buy the larger more expensive one?

This is the smaller more affordable panel I am talking about. https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=6843092&cc=1304671&jnid=521&jpid=0

Thanks in advance.

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
Congrats on getting the truck back, but it does look like you have some work ahead of you. I'm not a body guy, but my son is. When we redid my truck, he said to order the complete rocker assembly, that way its larger in case there is more rust. You can always cut away what you don't need