Bogs down

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scott Martin

Reaction score
Hey cool dudes.. My 99 Yukon randomly bogs down when trying to get up to cruising speed, it usually starts around 50mph or so. I have to ease off the gas or take my foot off completely, if I give it gas it acts like it's starving for fuel. It usually takes about 10-15 seconds to clear itself out and when it does its like a flip of switch and then it's fine until the next random time. I also have a really hard clunk in the drive train that's also random as hell... Any help would be greatly appreciated!

VIKING_MECHANIC

GMT 400 obsessed Swede.
Reaction score
I second Curt. I had a similar issue where my truck would seem to "skip a beat", best way I can describe it. I changed the fuel filter and no longer have that issue. On the clunk, besides the yoke, check the U-joints. Mine exploded on me one day and my drive shaft had to get some surgery.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Too little information to diagnose over the internet. But always have to check the basics when it happens: spark, fuel and air. Compression is likely not a possibility. You have to "catch it on the act," you know what I mean?

It may be losing fuel or something about spark advancing/retarding, but could also be some vacuum leak that happens intermittently? A scan tool with Live Data is a MUST on these type of problems! Fuel trims is what I would check. Ideally should be < 15%+\- on the long term. If both banks are lean or rich, then likely a fuel delivery problem.

Also check all other sensors and their output values obviously, such as MAF, TPS, MAP, O2s, etc. Good luck.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
I was going to suggest the tps. On my cheap scanner I can graph the tps and it's supposed to climb nice and smooth right up to wide open throttle. If there are any breaks in the graph the tps is no good. But like the others said theres not enough info to diagnose online. I had a similar problem on my burb and when i replaced it I accidentally spun my tires :) it must have been a pretty bad tps as it acted like new truck.

Al

Scott Martin

Reaction score
Driveline clunk is probably the slip yoke. You may be able to clean yours up. https://www.gmt400.com/threads/heres-your-fix-for-the-tahoe-yukon-driveline-clunk.30421/

The bogging down could be so many things... Have you checked for codes?

Maybe someone else has had something similar.

This has been going on for several years now and when I get a code I fix it, but I get a lot misfire codes and I've had issues in the past with finding a good distributor cap but the one I have now is working good.. I do need to get the codes checked again so when I do I'll let you know.. Thanks by the way.

Scott Martin

Reaction score
I second Curt. I had a similar issue where my truck would seem to "skip a beat", best way I can describe it. I changed the fuel filter and no longer have that issue. On the clunk, besides the yoke, check the U-joints. Mine exploded on me one day and my drive shaft had to get some surgery.

My ujoint on the back of the driveshaft bkew on me last year, I had a guy come look at it and he seems to think it's the transfer case that has a loose chain in it.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
Well I'm thinking my cel light is burnt out because I haven't had anything in a while.. But I have a fuel filter for it I just need to get under it and do it.. I'll get back to you when I do.. Hopefully this weekend.

Scott, all the bulbs in the cluster get tested when you turn the key, the cel should illuminate, have a look see.

Al