Tbi 350 bogs and stalls at half throttle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matts88

Reaction score
WHICH wire are you checking, and how do you have the meter leads positioned?

This is why using a scan tool is easier, faster, and has less chance of error.
I had the paper clip slid into the middle terminal on the sensor, connected the positive meter lead on the paper clip, and the negative on a clean spot of the throttle body. What kind of scan tool? I didn't know they had one for obd1

Jksconny

Reaction score
I had the paper clip slid into the middle terminal on the sensor, connected the positive meter lead on the paper clip, and the negative on a clean spot of the throttle body. What kind of scan tool? I didn't know they had one for obd1
You can pick up snap on mt 2500 for 2-3 hundred on eBay. Hasn’t solved all my problems but saves a lot wrinkles and white hair just sayin

Matts88

Reaction score
You can pick up snap on mt 2500 for 2-3 hundred on eBay. Hasn’t solved all my problems but saves a lot wrinkles and white hair just sayin
Oh alright, sounds good man thank you. I've currently got a decent obd2 scanner, I'm going to attempt to just throw an adapter on it but if that doesn't work I'll be ordering one of the snap on ones.

Jksconny

Reaction score
Oh alright, sounds good man thank you. I've currently got a decent obd2 scanner, I'm going to attempt to just throw an adapter on it but if that doesn't work I'll be ordering one of the snap on ones.
Yeah and it seems to me they hold there value as of current times

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ran a '2500-series scan tool for ~20 years. There's nothing "wrong" with them for OBD-1 use, given the proper software cartridges. The MT2500 has zero graphing capability, the MTG2500 has two-channel, rudimentary graphing. In this era, graphing is almost essential.

But understand that the newest of them is now thirty years old, and they go back to 1988. Snap-On support for the '2500 series ended in 2009. No repairs, no updates. The only stuff you can get for them now are the parts and accessories that happen to fit the newer "Solus Legend" scan tools--vehicle adapters and some cables.

When my MTG2500 died, I went with a two-generations-newer Solus Pro. The Solus family, in order: Solus, Solus Pro, Solus Ultra, Solus Edge, and the current version, Solus Legend. I believe that only the Solus Edge and Solus Legend have current support--updates and repairs.

Be sure to get software new enough, and vehicle adapters for any vehicle you intend to repair. It'd be wise to look for a unit that comes with the informational DVDs or paper manuals.

There's at least four adapters for GM vehicles, although mostly only two are needed. GM1 plus a power adapter, and the OBD2 adapter with an assortment of "Personality Keys"; K-9 is common for GM, there's about 50 keys in all. GM2 is the older, 5-pin adapter, and GM3 is for ABS on select vehicles. I own a GM3, I've never used it. I have used the GM2, but not for about six years.

In short: A Snappy 2500-series scan tool would have to be VERY inexpensive, or VERY well-equipped before I'd buy one. If it's well-equipped with a lot of vehicle adapters, those adapters transfer to the newer scan tools in most cases.

Last edited:

SNCTMPL

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For $200-300 you’re most of the way to an ebl flash which will show you what your sensors are doing and give you better tuning.
After running one on my last truck I’m not messing with an obd1 without one.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For $200-300 you’re most of the way to an ebl flash which will show you what your sensors are doing and give you better tuning.
After running one on my last truck I’m not messing with an obd1 without one.
Quick question and sorry for the hijack....but does the EBL come "pre tuned" with the stock tuning???
Maybe you can start a thread about how to use them, as it's something I'm interested in, if I don't go the LS route.

SNCTMPL

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quick question and sorry for the hijack....but does the EBL come "pre tuned" with the stock tuning???
Maybe you can start a thread about how to use them, as it's something I'm interested in, if I don't go the LS route.
Yes, you get a few different tunes for some different applications.
I have only tuned my last truck and it was a little different application, it had an Accel throttle body with 4 injectors. It was like the current self learning units that are now available. I got it close and then finished it with the help of a friend and his dyno. With that being said, I don’t think I would be qualified to start a thread about tuning the EBL. There is a lot of info on his website DynamicEFI.

Last edited: