Bluetooth OBD2 adapter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

White96k2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ironically I've had better luck with the transparent blue cheapies than I did with a BAFX. The BAFX I bought wouldn't connect to either of my '97s, I returned it.

The blue cheapies definitely do have their own weird quirks though... I have two of them. One will connect to my '97 C1500, but will NOT connect to my '97 K1500 Suburban. The other one is the exact opposite. Same model adapter, from the same vendor.

The only adapter I have experience with that has worked with everything 100% is my PLX Kiwi. Mine is an older revision that has a cord attached to the adapter, but they have several newer options starting at around $50. Mine was $100 back in the day IIRC.

https://www.plxdevices.com/Kiwi-OBD-OBDII-Interface-Gauges-Scan-tool-Diagnostics-s/195.htm
I actually saw you mention the PLX kiwi in another thread. I tried to search them but couldn’t find anything, I should’ve just went to their website. Only the expensive ones will work for me since i have IOS. I might give a cheaper one from amazon a shot first and if they fail to work I’ll break down and get the PLX.

White96k2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was able to read a number of parameters ("PIDs") w/o any specific "year" purchase, although there are evidently some parameters which require one. I was using DashCommand on my iPhone (in the image below, it's no longer connected to my Suburban but the GUI is shown).

This was actually first time I've tried using DashCommand w/the InfoCar on my Suburban, usually I use an old device called AutoTap w/ its associated SW on a laptop.

You must be registered for see images attach
Awesome i appreciate you looking into that! Im definitely gonna have to get something ordered so i can keep an eye on everything.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awesome i appreciate you looking into that! Im definitely gonna have to get something ordered so i can keep an eye on everything.

I generally use the "Car Scanner" iPhone app with the InfoCar adapter to read / monitor / graph / log data from our 2008 Toyota.

I paid the $7 fee (one-time) for all the Car Scanner bells and whistles, although for less money they'll offer abbreviated services.

I haven't yet tried Car Scanner on the Suburban.

Car Scanner appears to show me EVERYTHING on the Toyota that's shown by Toyota's own TechStream (which I also have; it runs on a laptop with a hardwire OBDII interface).

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Is either one any better or worse?
All depends on how you plan on using it, I'm sure. If you're using an app on a phone, I'd think bluetooth would be far easier to connect to, regardless of where you're at. Wifi I have no idea if it expects to connect to your home/shop router or if it can connect directly to your phone; I haven't used any Wifi code readers.

Richard

White96k2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just look carefully at what you're buying - that one is Wifi, not bluetooth - and says "ios" compatible, not Android.

Richard
I didn’t even realize it said wifi. I think I’m going to go a different route, instead of that one. Definitely going to get one that’s Bluetooth though. Thanks for pointing that out!

White96k2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I generally use the "Car Scanner" iPhone app with the InfoCar adapter to read / monitor / graph / log data from our 2008 Toyota.

I paid the $7 fee (one-time) for all the Car Scanner bells and whistles, although for less money they'll offer abbreviated services.

I haven't yet tried Car Scanner on the Suburban.

Car Scanner appears to show me EVERYTHING on the Toyota that's shown by Toyota's own TechStream (which I also have; it runs on a laptop with a hardwire OBDII interface).
I’ve never heard of that app. Ill have to check that one out!

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve never heard of that app. Ill have to check that one out!

I just checked, and Car Scanner appears to show me the Suburban's ATF temp.

It displayed it as 66F, which is ambient.

I haven't driven the truck since yesterday so "66F" makes sense, but it would be nice to see it actually changing / updating.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All depends on how you plan on using it, I'm sure. If you're using an app on a phone, I'd think bluetooth would be far easier to connect to, regardless of where you're at. Wifi I have no idea if it expects to connect to your home/shop router or if it can connect directly to your phone; I haven't used any Wifi code readers.

Richard
I was just curious. My BAFX is WiFi and seems to work fine, even driving around, it’s connected to phone.