Blown fuse on the 10 amp Ign, & Ecm location in fuse block.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

goetso

Reaction score
Hey guys, was out driven my truck when I lost engine power. The 10 amp. Ign, & Ecm spot on the fuse block under the dash blew. The fuel pump stoped working when this blew also (must be on same circut). Anybody point me in the right direction. Common thing (or shorting spot to look at) with these, or just a fluke? I havent got to drive it yet so not sure if its gonna blow again. I will know in a few hrs. Just woundering if anybody else had this problem. Thanks

1990 K1500 5.7l. Auto,

Last edited:

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pop a fuse in and keep a few spares. Sometimes it can be a fluke overdraw on a circuit, but if there's trouble it will happen again. I would check power leads to those components for chafing and fraying, if it happens again. Good luck!

goetso

Reaction score
Well, drove it home and its eatin fuses like candy. Any commmon places or just start plulling wires apart assotiated with this fuse?

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You need to get a wiring diagram and find out what the fuse powers. It would also be helpful to know when the fuse blows. Is it only when driving, or will it also do it while parked? Does it blow only when the engine is running, or also in the key on position? Once you know which wires you are looking for, you can run them down from their source. A quick visual may also help, looking for obviously burnt or chafed looming.

Mysilvi

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Check your Crank posistion sensor located in the front PS of the engine just below the timing cover. Somtimes the wires can get shorted out near the block and will blow the fuse.

454ss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
mine did this and it was a wire worn thru in the harness that went to the coil/distributor that was shorting out. cant remember for sure which one it was as its been a few years but it was that harness in the rear of the engine.

goetso

Reaction score
Here's a long shot posting on this again thread again, but as far as when the fuse is blowing, it happens when driving it for about 5 mins. Then it blows and while coasting I can plug a new fuse into the box, throw it in N and crank it over. It will run for about another couple mins, then blow. I did this 4 times till I got it home. These are the worst dam shorts to find IMO.

Mysilvi

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here's a long shot posting on this again thread again, but as far as when the fuse is blowing, it happens when driving it for about 5 mins. Then it blows and while coasting I can plug a new fuse into the box, throw it in N and crank it over. It will run for about another couple mins, then blow. I did this 4 times till I got it home. These are the worst dam shorts to find IMO.

So does it pop the fuse while being parked and running?? Or just while driving?? If its while driving only I would think its a wire near the block shorting out around or near the exhaust manifold. Check the cam posistion sensor located in the back top by the dist along with the CPS located in the front. Also test for power at your ICM, and Coil to see if the power going to them is dropping out to ground get a good meter and test for resistance if you get nothing its a direct short. Good luck.