Blend door assembly

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mackguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok, so last week I noticed the blend door (to direct air to floor/dash/defrost etc) wasn't working right. I suspected the actuator since it is almost 20 years old, but upon diving under the dash and checking it found the actuator to be working fine.

Problem is the levers that it actuates are all wonky. it seems like there's a rod that should go all the way through, and it's as if it has come detached from the side opposite the actuating lever and now the blend door is just floating around in there somewhere..

So my question is does anyone have a diagram showing the mechanism, and/or have an idea of how to disassemble it to see what's going on?

mackguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For clarification, in this diagram it's the little levers that items 66 attach to. You can grab those and feel something heavy flopping around in the box..
You must be registered for see images attach

Brianb5

Reaction score
Had to do mine last summer as it was broken and hanging inside the box. This Is a pic of the blend box behind the dash from the top. Each door is connected to those actuators.

You must be registered for see images attach

Brianb5

Reaction score
You have to remove seats, drop steering wheel column. And rotate dash foward, you don't have to remove dash just tilt it to foward position. Then you can see the culprit right in the middle. They sell the whole top part of box with 2 new flaps installed. Just unclip 3 fasteners 2 easy and one very difficult, had to unbolt box from engine firewall to get to it. After that top of box comes off, then you can replace bottom flap (sold seperatly) and install new top with flaps reclip and put everything back together. Hardest part was getting dash tilted foward with out dismantling the whole thing and cracking it there very brittle.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My blend doors are a little funky in both of my trucks... Have been for a couple years now. Seeing those pictures reaffirms my suspicions that this is something I really don't want to do myself. Good on you all who attempt this yourselves, I'll probably just wait until they bug me bad enough to have my interior shop mess with them. I have bad luck with breaking stuff like this.