big top end rebuild in the works

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mornarr

Reaction score
hey guys, I have been reading around on several forums and the "hard start" and "leaky intake gaskets" keep popping up where 1996 and up vortec 7400 L29 454s are concerned.
my baby is no exception, she starts great the first few times, but after shes up to temp it gets harder, no loss of power or odd idling and with the gasket leak the truck does not over heat at idle and gets a fairly consistent 14+ mpg highway. (loaded and unloaded)
But I know that those injectors and FPR are probably the culprits for the hard starts and the truck does use some coolant (surge tank is almost always empty). So for this summer I plan to tear the top off the motor, clean the manifold, get new injectors and I have even considered putting a new distributor on it. Accel makes a vortec performance replacement distributor/cap/rotor/wire set up (jegs has it for around $300) any one used this? also I want to put AC delco rapidfire plugs on it, I know it calls for the delco double platinum but do you think this will make a difference?
Im hoping this rebuild will add some serious longevity to my truck, along with a K&N intake I'll bet it will kick some ass.
lots to do and man I love this truck.

454ss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
get your injectors from fiveomotorsport.com, get a dui distributor, summit and holley both make an excellent set of 8mm plug wires, get a us made regulator, use fel-pro gaskets, use original plugs gapped at 45 not 60, use a gm coil. I did mine last summer and its like new again at 210,000 miles. rapid fire plugs will do nothing. if your miles are over 200 and its never been done, its time for a double roller timing chain upgrade, a melling oil pump and driveshaft with a steel collar.

Mornarr

Reaction score
cool stuff 454ss, and the injectors from fiveomotorsport.com come with a new EGR valve too..
Just curious should I stay away from the Accel distributor combo from Jegs?