Best lowering option

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95burban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I vote for 2in djm arms and belltech shackles and hangers in the rear.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
This is how much the LCA needs to be trimmed in order to clear a 7" wide, 15" SS/Sport wheel on a 2" drop with spindles.
To figure the proper amount, turn the wheel to the stop or as far as possible until the rim touches the LCA.
Measure 2"-2.5" in from there. That extra is to ensure clearance as the suspension cycles.
Do both Fr & Rr of the LCA.

You must be registered for see images attach

Run stick-on wheel balancing weights as opposed to the clip-on style.
A tight corner with a deep dip (pothole? Arrghhh!) and those clip-on weights will get knocked off.
My '98 did not need this done on a 4/7 with 15's. BellTech derivative spindles. Cut springs. SS/Sport wheels.
The different angles of the control arms created by the short springs is the only reason I could see for that.
But...my '97 with a 2/4 (B/T spindles) needed the LCA's trimmed even more to run the Impala SS 17's than what was already done to clear the 15's.
Wheel offset plus the 8" width was the cause.

The '97 had 10 years of 'me' daily driving it. I tend to take the twisty backroad long way home. Posted speeds are merely suggestions.
For the first couple or three years, I kept a close eye on the LCA's. Checking for cracks, bends, any spreading. Part of the routine, every oil change. Nope. Never any problems with them.

1996*GMC*SHORTBED

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
...I like this outfit. They cost a bit more, but I like their stuff better than all the other usual places. On their site they answer the old question of whether or not so & so's spindles push your tires out or not, and how much. Like their regular C-notches & their taller C-notches...and everthing else they offer for our 1988 thru 1998 trucks... www.reactsuspension.com ...

Rooster98

Reaction score
This is how much the LCA needs to be trimmed in order to clear a 7" wide, 15" SS/Sport wheel on a 2" drop with spindles.
To figure the proper amount, turn the wheel to the stop or as far as possible until the rim touches the LCA.
Measure 2"-2.5" in from there. That extra is to ensure clearance as the suspension cycles.
Do both Fr & Rr of the LCA.

You must be registered for see images attach

Run stick-on wheel balancing weights as opposed to the clip-on style.
A tight corner with a deep dip (pothole? Arrghhh!) and those clip-on weights will get knocked off.
My '98 did not need this done on a 4/7 with 15's. BellTech derivative spindles. Cut springs. SS/Sport wheels.
The different angles of the control arms created by the short springs is the only reason I could see for that.
But...my '97 with a 2/4 (B/T spindles) needed the LCA's trimmed even more to run the Impala SS 17's than what was already done to clear the 15's.
Wheel offset plus the 8" width was the cause.

The '97 had 10 years of 'me' daily driving it. I tend to take the twisty backroad long way home. Posted speeds are merely suggestions.
For the first couple or three years, I kept a close eye on the LCA's. Checking for cracks, bends, any spreading. Part of the routine, every oil change. Nope. Never any problems with them.
What is the backspacing on ss wheels? 4.25?

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Steelies look good in my opinion. It’s a classic look. I do like some period correct billet wheels, too. I’m trying to find a set of 8 lug period correct wheels for myself but that has proven to be a challenge. I’ve seen them but never when I’ve been able to buy them.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Steelies look good in my opinion. It’s a classic look. I do like some period correct billet wheels, too. I’m trying to find a set of 8 lug period correct wheels for myself but that has proven to be a challenge. I’ve seen them but never when I’ve been able to buy them.
Yeah, I found a set of PY0s in the yard on New Year's Day, but didn't have the $300 to get them.....