Best budget scanner that will do all systems?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Best", "budget", and "all systems" are a three-way contradiction.

When it was me, I bought used Snap-On professional-grade scan tools from sellers on eBay. Pawn shops, Craigslist, etc. are also viable options.

Two decades ago, I bought an MTG2500 and eventually software cartridges up to 6.2 for '2005 back to '81 1/2, and which worked fairly well for everything except auto-bleeding the ABS on my '97 K2500. When the '2500 died, I replaced it with a Snappy Solus Pro with 8.2 software, which also wouldn't auto-bleed my '97. I later found out that 14.2 software WILL auto-bleed my '97. I've heard that 9.x and up software will also auto-bleed the '97.

I have access to all the ABS stuff EXCEPT auto-bleed with the 6.2 and 8.2 software.

Works with the instrument cluster on my '03 Trailblazer, air bags, engine, trans, etc.

I'd rather have a used professionl-grade scan tool than a new consumer-grade unit--if the used tool has software that will communicate with the newest vehicles I intend to use it with.

There are competing products from other brands, newer Snappy products, and lower-cost, consumer-grade stuff including software + dongle + smartphone; software + connector + laptop computer, and so forth. I have zero experience with any of that, other than reading forum posts about how they aren't providing info on various systems and need extra-cost options and/or additional attention/fussing.

Last edited:

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
If you just want to read codes and do some data logging, I like the OBD Link MX+. Its around $100 for the OBD2 dongle, From what I've read that dongle has the fastest refresh rate. Then download the a free app on your phone or tablet. I like the OBD link app for for reading codes quick while driving or quick data logging, or I also like Dash Command for customizing a separate dash on my tablet. You can also get trans tamp in 1996+ trucks with the dash command.

mdnky

DOH!
Reaction score
FYI for anyone looking to grab the OBDLink MX+, it does not read ABS on a 97 K1500. The OBDLink app doesn't even list the trucks, just the blazer and suburban. Their support wasn't very helpful either. Based on my limited conversations with them, they're more focused on vehicles made within the last 10 years or so. The device itself is definitely quick and works well, just not with this platform it seems.