Best battery isolator?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
I am looking to install a battery isolator in my '98 Suburban. I have a video camera and regularly forget to disconnect it which leads to a discharged battery. I am thinking about hooking the starter motor to one battery and the rest of the truck to the other so that when I have a brain fart, I can at least start the truck without dragging out the jumper cables in 10-degree weather.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are you forgetting to turn off the camera? Can you rewire it to 12V wire that's switched?

Draining your battery regularly is going to make your alternator work a lot harder trying to charge a completely dead battery, reducing the life of both battery and alternator. That's like $300 or more to replace both.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding though. A battery isolator to keep the battery fully charged and also act as a convenient jumper? That would make a lot more sense.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Is there a way for those isolators to be wired so you can use both batteries for starting but keeping them isolated when the engine isnt running?

El Tigre

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mine has a battery dedicated to starter ,and second battery powers everything else. Alternator charges both only when voltage is over 13.5v. Regardless how run down the 2nd. battery becomes? The battery that powers the starter remains fully charged.