Bad rollover accident makes me think about a roll cage in my crew cab

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brycebba

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was done with all of my mechanical engineering classes in college before I found out that I didn't want to do it as a profession so I'm confident in my ability to design something but in reality, I know nothing about the art and science of making a cage.

I imagine for a streetable cage you would want to stick to the idea that you want materials that will crunch in certain areas to help lessen the impact just like manufacturers do with the crunch zones. It would be a hybrid where certain points in the cage would need to be artificially weakened or use weaker materials to encourage crushing at certain points but stop at the harder materials that provide just the amount of space to keep someone as safe as possible.

I can see why people say don't bother because you won't really know whether you have helped or hurt your chances until it's too late. There could be amazing developments but no one has the money to keep building cages in junker trucks with different materials and designs until they find that perfect recipe.

At this point I think I will just pray that nothing major happens to me or family and keep driving paranoid and defensive.