Bad alignment? (see report inside)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1992prime

Reaction score
Hello,

Relatively new owner of a 93 GMC K2500 Suburban.

Just replaced almost everything on the front end with exception of lower control arm bushings.
The shop that did the work had their neighbor (shop) align the car. It tracks straight enough and feels tight but feels like it needs a lot of minor inputs, especially when driving at freeway speeds. Coming out of a turn the car will kind of straighten itself out, but not much.
Shop aligned at 0* caster and I've read that more is desirable.

Having the car realigned at a different shop next week and I would like to hear from some of the experts what
they think of the current setup.

You must be registered for see images attach

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Somebody that didn't know WTF they were doing did that.

Yes, take it to somebody else and tell them you want all the numbers(included angle, SAI, turn radius/angle and the specs on it.

Caster, camber, and toe don't tell the full story on an alignment. Not sure why the caster was set the way it is but the additional info they deleted off the sheet can help determine if and where a problem is. Ie: bent control arm, frame damage etc.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They'd have been better-off to set the toe, and leave the camber/caster where they were.

Given a choice, I lean towards more-negative camber; or at least the most-negative the spec permits. Similarly, I want the most positive caster I can get while keeping the camber where it needs to be. Of course, a guy needs to see how the tires are wearing in relation to the "before" alignment specs. If you've got tire wear from negative camber, you wouldn't want to add more negative camber.

A problem here is that you don't really know how wiped-out the lower control arm bushings are. As the bushings deteriorate, the camber (especially) and caster are affected.

1992prime

Reaction score
Somebody that didn't know WTF they were doing did that.

Yes, take it to somebody else and tell them you want all the numbers(included angle, SAI, turn radius/angle and the specs on it.

Caster, camber, and toe don't tell the full story on an alignment. Not sure why the caster was set the way it is but the additional info they deleted off the sheet can help determine if and where a problem is. Ie: bent control arm, frame damage etc.

Ok thank you

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
all the numbers(included angle, SAI, turn radius/angle and the specs on it.

What do you mean by all of the numbers? Is the report missing a lot of information?
Exactly what he said. Be sure to get the specs for what they're supposed to be, too. None of this is adjustable; but if it's wrong it indicates damage of some sort that should be repaired.

I gotta say, I don't remember seeing that info in the service manual. But I haven't been looking for it, either.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Coming out of a turn the car will kind of straighten itself out, but not much.
Shop aligned at 0* caster and I've read that more is desirable.
Whoever did your alignment only knows how to do a "toe-and-go" job - and that's all that beginning technicians are taught any more. Most vehicles do not have adjustable caster nor camber. Caster affects your return-to-center, and your caster is well below spec. It's a bit of a pain to adjust, but it is adjustable.

Take it back and ask if they have the knowledge and capability to adjust it to spec since that's what you paid for. If they can't, I'd ask what they're willing to do to make it right (partial refund?), and take it somewhere else.

1992prime

Reaction score
I’ve found a mechanic and alignment guy who actually knows about the cars so should be good to go. Thanks for all the input.