Bad A/C compressor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tornexted

Reaction score
Alrighty I'm back. After replacing the condenser, accumulator, and orifice tube on my 2-door truck, I finally got my A/c to work... I think. The highest today only got to 61F so I really can't tell if my A/C is working properly but my gauges says both my low and high pressure lines are about 90 and 90 PSI each. Does this mean the compressor is bad? My A/C does blow cold considerably though. The compressor kicks in every 10 seconds, stays on for 10 seconds, and goes off after 10 seconds and repeats itself, don't know if this is normal operation. Could this be because it's not hot enough outside but I've vacuumed the system, and put in the correct amount of refrigerant. The accumulator also gets quite cold, with condensation on it. Help please, thanks so much in advance. I'll provide a video of the system running and an image of the gauges.

You must be registered for see images attach

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

R422b

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Likely one of your gauges is not actually depressing the valve so you're getting inaccurate readings.

Talking about GMT400s using Tapatalk

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe your pressure is low. Your manual should give you the correct pressures. I deal with trailer-mounted A/C more than car A/C, so I don't memorize the pressures. I tend to deal more with watching the pressures change and listening to how often the compressor kicks on and off. Ten seconds on and ten seconds off sounds a little short.

With the A/C off the gauges should be equalized. It's been a couple years, but I believe both of my kids' cars settled at about 130 psi.

When the compressor is running the high side should be 250 -ish?

When we charged my kids' cars, we didn't weigh the refrigerant. We kept the cans upright in a warm (not hot) corner of the engine bay and charged from the low side. After half an hour the cars quit taking more refrigerant, and the A/C was ice cold. No issues with either car's A/C since.

Tornexted

Reaction score
I determined that indeed I am getting inaccurate readings from my gauges, so I used a gauge from an A/C kit to see what my low pressure readings are. I'll post a video below, the readings after the 26 second mark shows the low pressure reading with the A/C turned OFF. Again, the accumulator does feel cold, as well as the vents inside when the compressor kicks in. I'll give the manual a read to see whether it explains why the compressor turns on and off every 10 seconds, granted today was a much colder 47F day, I suspect that the compressor does this because it's not hot enough outside. I highly doubt the system is undercharged.

This image shows the pressure when the compressor is not running.

This images shows the pressure with the compressor running after about 7 seconds.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
(Video is still uploading)