Baby Blue - The 97 4.3 to 89 5.7 Conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kaylejwm

Reaction score
So, the story goes, once upon a time I owned a nice little 97 GMC short box regular cab with a 4.3 and standard transmission. I primarily used the truck for slow rolling down the gravel while enjoying all that sunday boozing had to offer. I ended up downshifting (like I would with an Eaton 18 Speed to get the jake-brake to start screaming) and the clutch detonated. This resulted in a prompt loss of forward momentum. A hole in the bell housing also appeared. Anyways, being at the ripe age of 19 and having far better things to do, I decided that changing out a clutch was far beyond my abilities when in reality it was only beyond my motivation because I come from a very extensive background of mechanics and what-not. Anyways, I sold the truck to a buddy and it sat in his yard derelict for years to come. Fast forward half a decade, I was browsing the classifieds and I stumbled upon a 1989 GMC Sierra (Extended Cab, Long Box, 2wd) - fully loaded - with a blown rear end for $300.00 CAD. I had nothing else to do that day so I loaded up my buddy, hitched onto the trailer, and went to pick up my new treasure. When i got there I fired it up (it ran OK) had the seller load it with a skid steer and I took it home. No more than two hours later I had a new differential in the back end and was slowly rolling down the gravel - enjoying all that Sunday boozing had to offer. (I in no way condone drinking and driving - this just makes for a better story). Anyways, I started looking around the interior of my new truck and realized it was in excellent shape for the year of the truck. Aside from a little wear here and there, it was almost in "mint" condition.

This drive got me feeling a little nostalgic for my old GMC, the one that I turned my back on and abandoned. I decided that I would try and track down my old truck and see how it was looking these days. After a little drive through the country, I came to my old friend's house and saw the little green shorty sitting in the EXACT same spot that it sat when it got there. Long story short I got a hold of my buddy's dad (who obtained in through some sort of horse trade I imagine) and bought the truck back for half of what I sold it for.

Now the fun began, I was going to take this beautiful blue interior from the 89 GMC and stuff it into this 97 GMC (which was a base model and the interior was in horrible shape by now - for whatever reason). While I was at it I might as well swap the engine, transmission, and everything else salvageable. About mid - way through tearing down the 97, we got to the Budweiser part of the night and a few of us were enjoying lawn chairs that take up residence in my shop. We were trying to decide on a color and saw a light bulb box on a shelf with a nice powder blue. Well, it's as good as any other color, so there we have it.

Now you are up to speed on the whole purpose of my project and the thought processes behind it. Since then I have also acquired another donor truck - an 88 Chevy extended cab long box - with a fresh engine and transmission (the stuff in the 89 was a little tired).

*I should have called the thread "Powder Blue". But what do I know.*
**Oh and also I'm not so much just swapping out the interior as I am converting a rusted out 89 extended cab long box into an 89 regular cab short box with a 350 and a perfect body. I will be swapping the VIN on the cab to reflect the blue 89.**

Last edited:

kaylejwm

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Here is the original 97 GMC Short Box.
I had just gotten it home and washed it up. The body was in excellent condition aside from paint. The interior was already pretty scabby and it was still only a base model - small engine, manual everything.

Attachments

• ef4ErKY.jpg
    ef4ErKY.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 16

kaylejwm

Reaction score

I spent a couple months tearing down the truck. I actually started this whole project in March, 2014
I lost a pile of pictures along the way.

Last edited:

kaylejwm

Reaction score

I then had the frame blasted, primed and painted. The cab was also lightly blasted (except for the roof and a few other parts).

Last edited:

kaylejwm

Reaction score

I went and bought some goodies, basically anything that really wears out and began reassembling the chassis. It has a drop of some description and also went and picked up a 3.73 posi rear end which I rebuilt. Everything that isn't frame or cast steel is new (except leafs which are off my 2012 chevy from before the lift kit).

Last edited:

kaylejwm

Reaction score

There are obviously a bunch of pictures missing between these steps and once I find everything I will do a step by step, but in the mean time this is where we are at. The body work is done on the box and it is currently sitting ready for prime. The cab is ready to be primed and already has the interior, bottom, and door jambs painted. I also started swapping interior components. The doors, fenders, tailgate, and hood are still in their original colors and will be started within the next week or two. The carpet is just so everything doesn't get scratched, i won't be using that greasy old thing in my purdy powder blue pickup.

kaylejwm

Reaction score

So I was able to hammer out about 8 hours of work on the truck today. Doing the interior conversion presents a ton of "square peg round hole" challenges. Like the hole for the passenger's side wire harness. I actually cut the hole from the old firewall and made it big enough to cover a couple other holes. Some flapper disk work and spray paint, a drill and a couple of rivets later I am satisfied with the results. Had to do the same for the driver's side harness hole.

kaylejwm

Reaction score

I was also able to the steering system done. I didn't want to cut the notch in the firewall to put the old style steering column through, so I disassembled the steering column and reassembled it in place. I then took the steering box from the 97 (it had the least play between the three I had to choose from) cleaned it up real well in the parts washer, painted and installed it. I bought all new steering components from there except for the drag link which looked good as new after a varsol bath. I'm using all used bolts and just painting them. One thing you will notice eventually is the rusty motor mounts. Well, they are brand new and I neglected to paint them. I installed them after I installed the control arms which almost resulted in me taking a match to the whole project and there isn't an ounce of motivation in me that wants to remove them again to paint them. I think I will just mask them off in a couple of days and try to spot blast them and I will paint them at that point. I am a little worried about rust bleeding but if you have ever changed engine mounts with the suspension in place before, you can understand how I am weighing my options.

Last edited:

kaylejwm

Reaction score

I then decided to give the interior a go. I ran all the wiring and installed the dash, hvac, etc. I really should have been cleaning everything as I go but winter is coming and I would like to have room in my shop for the engine donor truck. I am putting everything original in for now and will swap the little things out piece by piece later on. I set one of the speakers on the glove box during disassembly and it got this nasty tar crap all over it. It also has a farmer fix on the hinge so if anyone reading this has a blue glove box door that they don't want an arm and a leg for, please inbox me and i'll buy it from you. I could also use a dash bezel because the light switch plastic screw receivers are broken off. Let me know if you have anything! Anyways, I got it completely assembled except for the terminal connections and all the little goodies that bolt on along the bottom. Wife will be taking a match to the project if I spend any more time in the shop today so I will to call 'er good for today. The seat in the picture isn't the one I will be using, I have the blue seats with the light blue ribs from a newer model. This one was just sitting there handy and allowed me to sit and make truck noises while pretending to drive the little machine.
(I love chevy's, but I won't be keeping the chevy steering wheel. The steering column is out of the 88 chevy because I didn't want tilt and cruise. I will be swapping with my GMC steering wheel soon enough.)

Anyways, stay tuned.

Last edited:

kaylejwm

Reaction score

I just tidied up the interior tools and what not. Threw in the seats I am using. I was going to continue with trim and all the rest but the base model cab is missing a ton of hole of those little snap-in retainers. I will have to pick up a body saw and do some hacking. So the rest is on hold for now. The original 97 cab also had a bench seat which got taken out for a couple captain seats, so none of the existing holes will work for my 60/40 split.