Auto to manual swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nick94

Reaction score
The time has come to convert my 1994 3500GMC from auto to manual. I remember reading a post a few months back about a conversion, which included some wiring for the reverse lights and newtral safety switch. Does anyone out there know how to wire these items? Also, I founded a truck in the wrecking yard which is an manual. How hard is to pull the wiring harness from the donor truck and use it in my truck?

gnrl

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The time has come to convert my 1994 3500GMC from auto to manual. I remember reading a post a few months back about a conversion, which included some wiring for the reverse lights and newtral safety switch. Does anyone out there know how to wire these items? Also, I founded a truck in the wrecking yard which is an manual. How hard is to pull the wiring harness from the donor truck and use it in my truck?

hey man its not too bad. The thing thats different is the reverse switch on autos is at the base of the steering column but on manuals it's on the trans.

For manuals the C100 connector (on firewall, under brake master) power comes from the Turn/Bu fuse and goes stright out to the backup switch. All you have to do is leave the backup switch thats on the column unplugged, then connect a line from the fuse box to reverse switch on the trans. Then on the other end of the trans reverse switch com back to the reverse light output on the firewall connector (the line going to the reverse lights in the back should be light green)

I did this cleaner than what's above, but above will get you going.

Also i just read the rest of your post. It's not really worth the time or money to pull a harness from a truck just to convert to manual. You really dont need much wiring

From the junkyard you will need clutch petals, the bracket that holds the clutch petal, all the hydro stuff, floor boot and that's about it. Then you will need to buy the part that welds to the frame and holds the clutch bracket. (I just happen to have 2 for sale ;) )

Last edited:

Nick94

Reaction score
Thank you for replying to my email. dd you by any chance have any pictures about the wiring, do you think i need to change the steering column?

gnrl

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you for replying to my email. dd you by any chance have any pictures about the wiring, do you think i need to change the steering column?
Sure thing. I dont have any pictures of that part but I have GM wiring diagrams I can scan. Just PM me.

You don't have to change the steering column. If you want to have a "clutch depress safety switch", aka "starting for retards switch", then when you get the clutch bracket, make sure to take the black button switch thats on the bracket near the firewall. Use that to interupt the hot on start line (thick purple line that goes out to your start sol.). It is a normally open config.

axisT6

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You will need a chip burned so that your ECM will operate correctly with a manual trans. Where are you located?