ATK High Performance 350ci TBI engine for 1988-1995 Trucks from Jegs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I have seen plenty of 2-bolts as well as 305s set up the same way.
I believe it is a 4 bolt main block as well. Judging by all the sludge I wanna make sure the bearings are good though. Everything else has been good so far. The head gaskets weren’t leaking, but they are being replaced with Fel Pro Performance gaskets because I will be adding boost eventually. I will be running Rotella 10w30 in it at first to help clean it up. A buddy of mine has ram that in multiple small blocks with good luck.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what is everyone’s opinion on the intake manifold engine lift plate? I am gonna order one unless people think that’s a bad idea.
I wouldn't. I have no use for "engine tilters" either, although I was given one that I've never used.

I am not enthusiastic about hanging ~500 pounds more-or-less from an aluminum manifold, when I can put 3/8-16 bolts into the front of one head, the rear of the other, secure a chain to the engine, and bolt the chain around the lifting hook.

By bolting the chain around the lifting hook, I assure that the engine doesn't get un-balanced and have the hook slide down the chain one way or the other; and if I'm careful with which links I choose to poke a long bolt through, I've balanced and tilted the engine so it pops out--and back in--nicely.

Reaction score
I wouldn't. I have no use for "engine tilters" either, although I was given one that I've never used.

I am not enthusiastic about hanging ~500 pounds more-or-less from an aluminum manifold, when I can put 3/8-16 bolts into the front of one head, the rear of the other, secure a chain to the engine, and bolt the chain around the lifting hook.

By bolting the chain around the lifting hook, I assure that the engine doesn't get un-balanced and have the hook slide down the chain one way or the other; and if I'm careful with which links I choose to poke a long bolt through, I've balanced and tilted the engine so it pops out--and back in--nicely.
I am not too enthusiastic about it either, but it’ll work when I pull the old engine out at least. I won’t be reusing that intake manifold, I will be rebuilding that engine as well with aluminum heads as long as it’s a roller block, or I will sell it cheap if it isn’t a roller block. Do they even make roller retrofit kits for small blocks?

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do they even make roller retrofit kits for small blocks?
Yes they do, if you have the bosses for the spider and cam plate, you can get the Kit. Otherwise you can run roller lifters with "Tie Bars" which is way more expensive.

Here you have to measure your cam plate bolt spacing to get the correct one.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well heck yeah, I know you’ve done a million builds as well so I trust that. Ordering one right now, gotta try to find an ep381 fuel pump as well. Those things are hard to find, I’ve been checking regularly and they seem to go in and out of stock quickly.
Alot of the things I do may seem sketchy but space is at a premium. I pulled and installed 2 different small blocks in my Express van using the 3 bolts for the lifter spider retainer tray. I have a piece of 1/4" bar stock, 2" wide with a hook bolted into it and 3 holes matching the retainer plate. I pull LS engines with the knock sensor holes all the time. I put the 8.1L in my 1983 using the 4 bolt holes for the lifter spider as well. The way I have that setup with the cherry picker bolted directly through the carb adapter makes the engine stay balanced and it does not free rotate on the end of a chain.