Asking for engine-Savy advice!!! Help me!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

StevensWMR

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay I need to explain everything so all info is there.

2000 K2500 5.7l 4l80e

My truck had a 160* thermostat since purchased. I replaced the radiator appropriately 1.5-2 years ago.

Well a couple weeks ago my thermostat hung closed AND my water pump (likely factory) started pouring out water and my truck overheated on the highway. I say that, I saw the temp gauge max out to the red mark so I killed it and coasted to the shoulder. I let it cool down for a couple hours and I filled up radiator and drove it home. (Wasn’t very far)

I installed new water pump and a 190* thermostat after learning that is what is it should have anyway and is recommended and have noticed a large increase in overall performance and mileage since then.

Now that being said, I have asked everyone I can, mechanics/400 owners/etc. and my temp gauge should read 190-200 mostly. My dad says his 6.0l stays around 210-220.
My truck stays at 225-240. If I blast the heater it will stay around 225 on highway and when idling or if I use AC instead of heater it goes to 245-250. At first I thought it was overheating again and would pull over let it cool and notice low on water. I fill back up but every single morning I have to add 2.5 bottles of water. No leak visible!!! But as I add water it won’t stay topped off. It lets out air bubbles and steadily drains down the maybe 1” below the filler neck. After 7 or so times I top off it will stay up there but still releases tiny bubbles. Is this just air in radiator or is that show a leak somewhere? Didn’t drip water though I have watched it like paint drying. One of these times I popped the hood and boiling water was coming out the sides of the radiator cap!!!

Thought new thermostat wasn’t opening so put in a second new one. Also put a new radiator cap. Still losing water. There is no water in the oil. However today I pulled over to let it cool since it was on 235 with heater on for about 30 miles. I squeezed the top hose to see if there was still pressure and squeezing it felt all crunchy. I took it off and ramrodded something through it and cleared out a crap load of black tiny pebble things. Could this be coming from my radiator? Or going into it and clogging it up? Causing it to run hot and discharge water while driving from the over flow or cap? OR is it possible I damaged head gasket and losing water that way? However no water in oil and I don’t see a leak anywhere on the block.

Also note that the water that goes into the overflow from the radiator is brown and dirty looking. Could this be that rocky stuff like in the hose or possibly oil going into the water instead of vice versa. I have a bad rear seal so can’t tell if I’m losing oil that way.

Last edited:

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
STOP driving the truck!!!

You say that you are adding 2 bottles of water daily, what size bottles? Pints, Quarts, Gallons? If you are adding water daily and it is not leaking externally you most likely have a blown head gasket or POSSIBLY a cracked/loose exhaust seat or even a cracked head. Run a compression test. That will tell you which cylinder is eating the water. Do this before you drive the truck any more.
If you are hitting 220/240degrees your truck IS over heating as is evident by the fact that you say that there is water boiling out of the radiator cap
If you have debris/solids in the cooling system it is possible that someone in the past has added sealer as a temporary fix for a coolant leak or a leaking head gasket and that is what is causing your over heating problem. This is quite possibly the reason that the overflow tank is full of brown dirty water My advice is to have the radiator and cooling system flushed after you find out where the coolant is disappearing to.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Prolly bad head gasket. My 98 Tahoe did same thing. Well not get hot but use coolant. Once in a while when its cool the thermostat would stick a lil, would reach 240-ish, but would open then be fine for a month or something. I also replaced intake thinkng that was it.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It sounds like your cooling system had an issue and someone put in a 160* thermostat as a crutch. You either have a blown head gasket or a cracked head (less likely a cracked block). Having just rebuilt a Vortec with cracked heads, and after only finding two out of five heads at the junkyard not cracked, you can guess where my money lies.

The black pebbly stuff sounds like a stop leak product.

Either way, stop driving it. Overheat it enough and you'll crack the block. Ask me how I know. I should have had my block pressure checked while it was out.

If you tackle it yourself, it's going to be a fair amount of work:
Have a machine shop magnaflux the heads. As slow as your leak is, you may not be able to spot a crack.
Pull the water pump and block drain plugs.
Flush the block, water pump, and heater hoses out before reconnecting.
Replace the radiator. If you can't, take notice which direction your radiator flows, and flush it in the reverse direction. I'd replace it, and I'm cheap.
Your thermostat and radiator cap have been overheated - replace them.
Don't forget to reinstall the block drain plugs.
If you can get ahold of a Lisle radiator funnel, they're worth their weight in gold for burping air out of coolant systems.

evilunclegrimace

Reaction score
Running without a thermostat is not a good idea. Part of the thermostats function is to slow the water down so that it can absorb heat from the block and heads. If you insist on running it with out a thermostat cut the center out so that you at least have a restrictor plate to slow the water some what and give it a chance to pull some heat from the block/heads

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Running without a thermostat is not a good idea. Part of the thermostats function is to slow the water down so that it can absorb heat from the block and heads. If you insist on running it with out a thermostat cut the center out so that you at least have a restrictor plate to slow the water some what and give it a chance to pull some heat from the block/heads

Actually its not yhe length of time the water stays in contact that is the problem it is cavitation of the pump because the pump cannot build a positive pressure.

evilunclegrimace

Reaction score

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score