Are there any cool aftermarket intake manifolds for these? 1999 Tahoe 5.7 vortec

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are talking changing from injection to traditional intake, like four barrel or an improved fuel injection manifold?
There was a company producing an intake spacer, between upper and lower manifold. Out of production for a long time. " Painless Performance" was the manufacturer.
Have you upgraded the fuel injection system away from poppet OE style?

VictoryRed

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are talking changing from injection to traditional intake, like four barrel or an improved fuel injection manifold?
There was a company producing an intake spacer, between upper and lower manifold. Out of production for a long time. " Painless Performance" was the manufacturer.
Have you upgraded the fuel injection system away from poppet OE style?
motor is bone stock and to answer your first question im not really sure yet but now that i think about it i dont think theres much i can do if i were to keep it traditional so i guess im open to ideas

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
motor is bone stock and to answer your first question im not really sure yet but now that i think about it i dont think theres much i can do if i were to keep it traditional so i guess im open to ideas

The vortec manifold is way down the list as far as what is holding back the engines breathing and power production. The intake manifold does not even struggle until 400 hp and at that point porting the base, epoyxing and porting the upper plenum for an 80mm TB and bumping the fuel pressure to 70 psi it can support 450-470 hp. Beyond that AUS makes higher flowing spider units, up to 62 lb/hr. The plastic plenum can withstand a fair bit of positive manifold pressure as well, probably 10-15 psi reliably. The Dorman plenum is actually stronger than the GM one.

I had a ported OE manifold, epoxied & ported plenum and 80mm BBK TB on the 383 in my van when I first put the current setup in it. The OE spider fueled it to about 470 hp before I ran out of fuel. I put a new in box AUS 48# spider I had bought from a local guy that changed direction for $350 or something like that. Put it on E85 and it really woke it up more. Pulled like a freight train for what it was. I later swapped the ported marine manifold and noticed no discernable difference in power.

Last edited:

VictoryRed

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The vortec manifold is way down the list as far as what is holding back the engines breathing and power production. The intake manifold does not even struggle until 400 hp and at that point porting the base, epoyxing and porting the upper plenum for an 80mm TB and bumping the fuel pressure to 70 psi it can support 450-470 hp. Beyond that AUS makes higher flowing spider units, up to 62 lb/hr. The plastic plenum can withstand a fair bit of positive manifold pressure as well, probably 10-15 psi reliably. The Dorman plenum is actually stronger than the GM one.

I had a ported OE manifold, epoxied & ported plenum and 80mm BBK TB on the 383 in my van when I first put the current setup in it. The OE spider fueled it to about 470 hp before I ran out of fuel. I put a new in box AUS 48# spider I had bought from a local guy that changed direction for $350 or something like that. Put it on E85 and it really woke it up more. Pulled like a freight train for what it was. I later swapped the ported marine manifold and noticed no discernable difference in power.
sounds like stock manifold is fine for what im doing then I likely wont make more than 300 to the crank when i put a cam in it

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
sounds like stock manifold is fine for what im doing then I likely wont make more than 300 to the crank when i put a cam in it
Must be a tiny cam and stock exhaust? With headers, decent exhaust and a stock cam these make 280-300 hp at the crank.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
My intake is cool, but it's not aftermarket :boti:.

You must be registered for see images attach
Seen a Vette come into a local yard recently, can't say your build thread didn't make me want to do some parts harvesting! Money no object, I would have for sure! Looks great.... like it left the factory that way!

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My intake is cool, but it's not aftermarket :boti:.

You must be registered for see images attach
Just curious, is the lower manifold bolt on a later Vortec style heads or pre Vortec style.