are all 3 temp sensors the same?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TagAllen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 454 tbi going into my k3500 350 TBI truck and would like to replace all the sensors first. Are all three temp sensors the same part number? I dont know what to call the one on the front of the intake next to the thermostat. I just call them coolant temperature sensors.

TagAllen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know they do different things but are the sensors interchangable? Can I just buy 3 of the same kind and put them in those holes?

Last edited:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Some had an aux fan switch, depends on year. My '96 Vortec 7.4 had this arrangement too. And yeah, different sensors, the one on the passenger side head is most likely just a switch.

Richard

grampadirt

On MEDICARE Officially Old
Reaction score
As far as I can tell(on a '95 454 anyway)the one in front goes to the ECM,the one on the driver's side is for the gauge and the one on the pass. side is a switch that turns on the aux. fan when needed.I removed that one once and put it in a pot of hot water with a thermometer and a multi meter connected to the sensor.Somewhere around 215-220 the switch activated which would have turned the aux. fan on.I added an on/off toggle switch to it so I can turn the fan on at will.

TagAllen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok so then since we know what they do what name do I look them up under to purchase them? I have a temperature gauge on my 95 not just a light. One will probably be called temp sender what is the most likely name for the one that talks to the ECM.

TagAllen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I THINK the one on the driver side head is for the gauge. On old motors it is.