Anyone running the United Motors vented distributor cap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The thread about wires, and my truck running a bit rough lately has gotten me looking at ignition components again.

United Motor Products is the only company I've seen specifically market a vented cap. Anyone use one? It has brass terminals too.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1991918&cc=1353451&jsn=103913

When I still had a distrubtor cap and rotor on my L31, I created a positive vented distributor base like the later opti sparks that was vented by vacuum.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
When I still had a distrubtor cap and rotor on my L31, I created a positive vented distributor base like the later opti sparks that was vented by vacuum.

Do you have more details on that in another thread someplace? I know nothing about the Optispark except that it has issues from the factory.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do you have more details on that in another thread someplace? I know nothing about the Optispark except that it has issues from the factory.
The early ones had issues. The later ones were vented using hoses connected to the intake manifold.

I basically tapped the distributer base for 2 fittings that were elbows that had 1/8" nipples on them. I drilled a small hole through the throttle body above the throttle plate and inserted a piece of aluminum tubing that I epoxied into place. I connected a vacuum hose to one of the fittings on the distributer base to this fitting. The second fitting I connected to the air intake boot using a small hose barb. Above idle when I was on the throttle it would pull the ionized air out of the distributor and vent it with fresh air. I sealed the cap to the base with a small bead of RTV. It virtually eliminated the cold/wet weather moisture related misfires I was seeing and the cap and rotors lasted much longer.

I first tried using constant vacuum but the engine idled too high with the constant vacuum leak of the 1/8" hose. Fuel trims were did not change because the MAF was reading the vent air.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
This is great idea to do if I pull the distributor. Knock on wood, I haven't had any trouble since I went to the Blue Streak rotor and Accel cap. Think some of my "hard starts" last year that I thought were ignition problems were really mr.passlock....

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Hmm, I was thinking putting the distributor between the MAF and PCV hose.

I'm not crazy about the idea of rtv/silicone sealing it. This idea of venting this way may be overkill, for me. I didn't have a moisture issue until a couple of years ago. It may not even be the distributor. It started not wanting to start a second time after washing the engine compartment.... the icm has pooped out a time or two, as well.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
That cap isn't any more expensive than the other brands (and actually cheaper than AC Delco and Delphi); I say give it a shot. Considering the crappy quality of so many Vortec distributor caps these days, it would be hard for it to be worse. :D And it may actually be great!

Richard

kenh

I see nothing I hear nothing
Reaction score
If a cap is dusty inside and they do get that way, moisture is attracted by the dust. Once enough moisture/dust has accumulated, the spark will start to follow a path to ground. Once that path has started it carbonizes that track and no amount of cleaning will help. Only new cap will cure the problem.

Ken

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Here it is, came Friday. Hope to get it installed after lunch. The little round thing is the vent; in the upside down picture, you can see the hole for it. Hope it works as advertised!

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

It looks well made,and has a "heft" to it that the cheap caps don't have.