anyone ever heard this before?! need the experts!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xtreme.97

Reaction score
so my truck has been steering kinda weird and started getting some vibrations that didn't used to be there. figured it might be time for a front end rebuild. I know the lift and 37's put strain on those parts so no big deal. I work at a shop that just does tires so we have a shop down the street that we trust to refer customers to so I dropped it off with them and told them to call when it was ready. I get the call and they tell me that my bearing where the axle connects to the diff is shot. so bad in fact that it actually ate the bearing/seal (sorry not sure which one it is right there) and then wore out the hole in the differential so that the bearing/seal couldn't be replaced and I would need a whole new differential! keep in mind they have me bring my own parts so they don't have to warranty them (keeps my price lower) and charge me half the labor rate, so I don't think they were saying that just to run my bill up. but I don't neglect my truck and I don't see how it got that bad without me knowing something was going on. anyone ever heard/seen something like this? I'm actually afraid to drive it now because the front end could lock up on me at any moment. I'm trying to figure out how to safely cut the cv axle out until I can find another diff, so I figured I'd ask some folks more knowledgeable than I am.

Tavi

Vehicle enthusiasts
Reaction score
Never heard of this before. But, I've heard of weirder. You might be able to drop your front diff. Since its coming out anyway. This should give you enough room to pull the cvs. So you don't have to cut them. Save a little money there if they're not shot.

Otherwise a reciprocating saw and a lot of blades will eventually get through the cvs. With minimal safety hazard.

MSCustoms

Its not just a Truck
Reaction score
The CV shafts hold the 4x4 wheel bearings together. I took one of mine off and just back out of the driveway and the wheel nearly came off. I had to drive the truck back into the driveway on 3 wheels and a jack

xtreme.97

Reaction score
yeah the ends have to stay in or the wheel falls off or the diff leaks all the fluid. I'm more talking about cutting the center of the shaft and leaving the ends in place so that its still drivable while I'm looking for a good diff to put in there, if that's even possible...

Tavi

Vehicle enthusiasts
Reaction score
Didn't realize that. My pass cv nearly disintegrated on me. I cut the boot and left the stub. So never had that issue. Good to know I accidentally did the right thing

xtreme.97

Reaction score
Didn't realize that. My pass cv nearly disintegrated on me. I cut the boot and left the stub. So never had that issue. Good to know I accidentally did the right thing

sometimes its better to be lucky than good lol! that's what I'm thinking of doing tho, just leave a few inches. how close did you cut it down on the diff side of the shaft?

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
Sounds like an excuse for SAS conversion especially with 37" tires.

if only my wife understood how logical that is! I've seriously been kicking the idea around tho...

Heh at least you did think about that..with that big of tire you would prob tear up stock IFS parts at a high enough rate that it will become cheaper to go solid axle :deal:

xtreme.97

Reaction score
its not so much "will tear up parts", more of a "have been going thru parts like crazy for 2 1/2 years" kind of thing! I always laughed at the guys that wouldn't go big on ifs, thought they were just looking for an excuse to SAS. I have to learn everything the hard way I guess!