Anybody using these headers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Small primary's are supposed to increase low end power, Which would be perfect for most trucks.

Too small and you'll still shoot yourself in the foot. My C5 Z06 has 1 3/4" primaries, 3" collectors, 3" x-pipe that necks down to 2.5" back at the mufflers. It makes more torque from an idle to redline than stock which was lame manifolds to dual 2.5" duals with an h-pipe, though the h supposedly was only blown open about the diameter of a quarter per side. Still, too small of a primary and you just waste your time and money. My 1500 has the same size primaries as OP and it too makes more torque everywhere because of it. I even did an aftermarket header on the wife's car back in Japan with an otherwise stock cat back. Guess what? More power everywhere!

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Unless your engine is highly modified, headers is for looks ( sound near engine) only.....

If your engine is near stock, don't waste your time or money. ( Doug Thorley said this )
Not true at all! Lots of torque to be gained from headers even on a stone stock small block.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
While I was not exactly bone stock my L31 gained alot of torque from Thorley Tri-Ys. That was upgrading from shorties as well. Shorties were noticeably stronger than the log manifolds as well. Both manifolds cracked at less than 70k on the odometer. My exhaust was dual 3" basically off the manifolds to the muffler from GM. I had a marine intake and a small 206/210 Comp cam on a 110 LSA. Tuned 0411 PCM. Even shifting at 4,800 it had alot of get up and go for 3 tons of van. Even with the TCC locking up at 65 mph and shifting 2-3 with a locked converter the 350 just keeps on grunting.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
While I was not exactly bone stock my L31 gained alot of torque from Thorley Tri-Ys. That was upgrading from shorties as well. Shorties were noticeably stronger than the log manifolds as well. Both manifolds cracked at less than 70k on the odometer. My exhaust was dual 3" basically off the manifolds to the muffler from GM. I had a marine intake and a small 206/210 Comp cam on a 110 LSA. Tuned 0411 PCM. Even shifting at 4,800 it had alot of get up and go for 3 tons of van. Even with the TCC locking up at 65 mph and shifting 2-3 with a locked converter the 350 just keeps on grunting.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Why'd you shift so soon?

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Why'd you shift so soon?
That was my Tow/Haul mode shifting test, right after I installed the Astro van shifter, wired it up and set up the shift tables. I actually ran 8.1 Suburban Tow/Haul shift points in that test. In Tow/Haul I never rev it more than 5K. I don't spin the 383 hard towing either. 5,000 rpm is plenty to get where I am going in a good time.