Anybody using these headers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Turbojunky

Reaction score
These headers ended up fitting really well! I did have to flatten the head flanges on my belt sander but I expected that.

You must be registered for see images attach

Turbojunky

Reaction score
I also got the X-pipe assembly done and installed

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Unless your engine is highly modified, headers is for looks ( sound near engine) only.....

If your engine is near stock, don't waste your time or money. ( Doug Thorley said this )
If all you do is replace the OE exhaust manifolds with a set of shorty headers, then, the performance difference will be minimal, and only noticable at low end torque, but, if you replace the muffler, cats, add a X or Y pipe, this will magnify the effect. Then there are the long tube headers that do improve flow at higher RPMs say from 3000 up. Again, things work together to improve performance. If your doing headers, you need to do high flow mufflers, and cats at least to maximize the effects of the headers. Then you really need a tune to help maximize your performance. Also a high flow air filter will help some, but again, the effects will be minimal if that's all you do. There is no magic trick that all by itself, will give you a 500 HP Vortec 5.7 L engine.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Turbojunky I had to do a double take. Those looked kinda beefy for 1.5" primaries, after more reading they seem to be 1.5" ID, not OD. Plus I see v-bands on yours, did they come that way?

LVJJJ

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Shorty headers might not provide a lot of extra power, but they sure fixed my exhaust manifold cracking problem. The 383 in the 94 k1500 is for towing a 5000 lb travel trailer, I was told that with the old 350 I shouldn't run at 3700 rpm pulling mtn passes, but did it anyway cause it would do it in second, cracked two sets. Got tired of that so installed a 383. Was running over 3500 rpm cracked a 3rd set of manifolds (vietmanese and chinese). So ordered the JBA headers, fit good easy to install, no more cracking. Pulling hills much easier. Also installed dual exhaust, THAT helped power big time.

Turbojunky

Reaction score
Turbojunky I had to do a double take. Those looked kinda beefy for 1.5" primaries, after more reading they seem to be 1.5" ID, not OD. Plus I see v-bands on yours, did they come that way?

Good eye on those primaries! I never even measured them until now. They are about 1.675" OD.

I cut off the 3-bolt flange and welded the vbands on myself.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Shorty headers might not provide a lot of extra power, but they sure fixed my exhaust manifold cracking problem. The 383 in the 94 k1500 is for towing a 5000 lb travel trailer, I was told that with the old 350 I shouldn't run at 3700 rpm pulling mtn passes, but did it anyway cause it would do it in second, cracked two sets. Got tired of that so installed a 383. Was running over 3500 rpm cracked a 3rd set of manifolds (vietmanese and chinese). So ordered the JBA headers, fit good easy to install, no more cracking. Pulling hills much easier.
I have shorty headers on my truck. I like them a lot. My point was that there is no one thing that you can do that all by itself, that will give you hughe gains. Do the headers, and the mufflers, and the cats, and the air filter, and tune it, then you will see some difference. The more you do, the more performance you will see. It all works together. I was at a car show a few months ago. These 2 guys were admiring my truck, and asking a lot of questions. 1 of them, has a GMT 400. Finally after about 30 mins, I said, look, y'all want to go for a ride. They said OK. So we took off, and they both said, that there truck didn't run like mine. We go down a few blocks, and I turn left on a Rd with no traffic. I stopped, and then I nailed the gas. Spin the tires a little, pined the back on the seat, and then barked a 2ed when it shifted. They were impressed, and quick to repeat, there truck doesn't run anything like mine. Well, I have a lot of work, and time in my truck. And I also have an Eaton trutrac with 373 gears in the rear end, not to mention the trans has been performance built with a HD master rebuild kit, Corvette survos, and a shift kit. I shaved the throttle plate, ECT, ECT ECT.