Any one have this trans in their truck? 6 forward gears

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wvk1500

Reaction score
Well while I am trying to figure out my other problem with stalling, see post...(http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthread.php?5436-HELP!-figure-this-one-out!-4.3-lurching-and-falling ) I thought I would ask if any one has this trans in their truck, I have a 94 swb with a 4.3 its a towing machine! it has a L and 1,2,3,4, and a OD I have pulled a 56 pontiac 4dr about 10 miles and kept up with traffic. I never use the L low gear unless I plan to pull. At 60 when you put it in OD it still has plenty of power for the hills in W.V. I am running 285 16s on it now. My question is what kind of tranny is this? My son had a 5 speed but not like this one. My neighbor said it is rare and it has a plate on the side that looks like a pto. This was an old gas company truck used for servicing wells. It has all the options of a z71 but not a v-8. I have seen alot of 5 speeds but if you count L it has 6 speeds!

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a ZF, maybe an S6-650 or the like. It's basically a five speed with a super lower gear added in, great for towing. I've never heard of one being put in a half ton pickup from the factory, but I suppose it's possible. Come to think of it, I didn't think that GM used a six speed manual in any truck until just recently (last decade or so). The S6-650 has come in the newer GM 2500HD's and 3500HD's, as well as ford's F350's and up for several years now, so it is entirely possible (likely even) that it was swapped in. In any case, great tranny!

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach
does it look like this one?

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
If it's anything like the Clark 6-spd from the mid-70's, the L gear is going to be around twice as low as 1st, which is probably around the 3.5:1 range.

Maybe you should install a PTO on it, might be fun, if anything, for bragging rights! lol