Any of you guys wood stove experts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
We use one of these. Helps to even out the temp. throughout the room. Works from the heat of the stove. No electricity.
An old kettle full of water on top of the stove helps to maintain moisture in the room that the stove will suck out of it.
Cracking a window or a door somewhere in the building really helps to get oxygen to the stove. Doesn't have to be a door or window in the same room.

You must be registered for see images

The Peltier Effect
When the fans generator module experiences a heat differential between its top and bottom surfaces it pumps out electricity. The bottom surface of the module is heated by the base of the fan, while the top of the module is kept cooler by the fan's top cooling fins.When two dissimilar semiconductors (different Metals) at the same temperature are connected together they establish a static electric potential difference
With the introduction of a temperature difference, heat flows across the joined semiconductors which in turn permits electrons to flow
With the electron flow or current comes the ability to power electrical devices such as the fan's motor

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
Is there a baffle in the stove? My old wood stove (we heat our entire house 100% of the time with one stove) had no baffle (basically a restriction that doesn't allow the heat to go up the stovepipe. There are different forms of this, but they are all the same concept.) It would take a long time to get up to temperature and wouldn't get overly hot, all the heat went up the stovepipe. A damper doesn't help much with this. Trust me.

The new (used) one I installed has a damper (made of cast iron) that the heat needs to go around before it leaves up through the pipe.

In our 700 square foot house that isn't insulated well, it can be -35 celsius out and we have to open the doors to let the heat out. I burn primarily Highland Maple, Ash, Oak and some White Birch. Aged about a year.

WVXC450R

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As far as I know it doesn't have a damper. It has the inner cast she'll and then it has the outer brown she'll that you can see in the pics. It's about two inches away from the actual cast. We've had it burning for about 6 hours before and we could still touch everything but the actual stove.

I'm still kind if worried about it being so close to everything else in the garage though so we may end up doing away with it all...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WVXC450R

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
96-1500, do you have any pics if your setup?

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
Stove
You must be registered for see images attach

Baffle

Like my fire poker? Old pickle fork I had lol

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
We use one of these. Helps to even out the temp. throughout the room. Works from the heat of the stove. No electricity.
An old kettle full of water on top of the stove helps to maintain moisture in the room that the stove will suck out of it.
Cracking a window or a door somewhere in the building really helps to get oxygen to the stove. Doesn't have to be a door or window in the same room.

You must be registered for see images

The Peltier Effect
When the fans generator module experiences a heat differential between its top and bottom surfaces it pumps out electricity. The bottom surface of the module is heated by the base of the fan, while the top of the module is kept cooler by the fan's top cooling fins.When two dissimilar semiconductors (different Metals) at the same temperature are connected together they establish a static electric potential difference
With the introduction of a temperature difference, heat flows across the joined semiconductors which in turn permits electrons to flow
With the electron flow or current comes the ability to power electrical devices such as the fan's motor

I have been eye balling one of these for two years now. I just haven't had the extra cash to buy one.
We have a fireplace upstairs with dual blowers we heat the upstairs with and a few years back my dad got a little stove for our basement to heat when we go down to play xbox, watch movies, or work in the pantry. IT is the cheapest stove they had at the farm store but it does work well, I want one of these fans to blow the heat around down there

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here's our current setup. The sides are drywall with sheet metal over top of it, the back is the same except for where the exhaust pipe is going out now we cut a 24"x24" square, lined it with 1/8" steel we had laying around, and rain the 3 wall pipe through it.

By the way it is our garage so we are trying to keep it as cheap a possible. We got the stove for free or we wouldn't even be doing all of this lol.

That is not code at all and if or when it burns the garage down, insurance will not over that.

WVXC450R

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah we decided against it! Dads going to put it in his garage where he has more room! I'm probably going to put a small stove in there for some home powder coating!

Do any if you guys have a better idea for some heating? We're considering some infared heaters..

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
With the correct wood stove setup, wood is really good if you can get wood free or cheap, you just need to do research and some math