Any of you guys wood stove experts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WVXC450R

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
We recently put a wood stove in our garage and we're kind new to it all. How do you guys have the exhaust pipe ran? We learned the hard way not to skimp out on triple wall pipe going through the wall to the outside by a small fire lol. We currently have the exhaust pipe coming straight off the back of the stove and going straight through the wall. So far were not very impressed with the heat output. It looks like we're losing all of our heat outside where the triple wall attaches to the single wall because that is what's giving off the most heat.

How do you guys have yours ran? We're thinking about running the single wall back into the garage a couple of feet and then back outside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

96k1500

Ballin on a budget
Reaction score
Works better if you crack the door on it a little bit to let some of the heat out just dont open it to far, as far as piping i dont remember for sure cause its been a while since ive installed one (i think the last one was when i was 14) i know you want the triple pipe at the wall and i know you wanna run the pipe above the roof so that the smoke will desipate, however the piping inside the wall and outside the wall i dont remember for sure, i do know you shouldnt have to run the piping back inside

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
The longer the pipe, the more draw you will have and the better it will burn. So as long as you get the pipe up to roofline (or preferably past it) you will be just fine. So the pipe is most likely not the problem.

Do you have a damper in the pipe? You will need one to control airflow (supposing that you don't... or maybe you have a different kind of woodstove?) We have a fancy-schmansy swedish-made Yodel, then we also have a 1920's cook stove.

What wood you burn also has an effect on heat output.

Once you get up to temp, you need to shut the damper almost all the way and then it will burn good. The flow will be established, so it will burn hot, draw air from the room and exhaust outside without leaking. (supposing again that this is an older styled woodstove)

If it is a newer one with the secondary combustion and stuff like that, there is no need for a damper, since it is built in by an air control slider. You just need to leave it open all of the way unless it gets too hot, then you turn it down some. To let extra air in on some stoves there are too air tight, you can crack open the ashpan door, letting lots of air into the base of the fire. Don't leave it unattended though, 'cuz it will get hot doin' this.

jps4jeep

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not in my garage but I have a wood burning stove in my house that I use to heat the house 85% of the time in the winter.

Every municipality will differ on stove exhaust requirements, that said, some municipalities do not have any requirements.

Run single wall as high on the wall as you can to a 90* elbow, that convert to double walled pipe. Exit the building leaving a suitable amount of space between the pipe and the wall using a wall flange. on the exterior, place another 90* pipe ot a saddle transfer or what ever it is called (I'll look for a pic) support the pipe and run it up beyond the roof. The termination point is what will differ from municipatlities, where I live it is dependant on the pitch of the roof, or if your running up a gabeled end, must be a certain distance above the ridge.

The stove should have a damper for air intake and exhaust, I added a second damper to the exhaust pipe to retain more heat.

I like to have as much single wall pipe in the building as possible so that I can get more heat to radiate off the exhaust. If you exit the building just off the top of the stove, your loosing all that heat.

WVXC450R

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have no idea about the dampener.. Ill look at that. We've been using oak wood.

Yeah having as much single wall in the garage is why we were going to run it back inside the garage. We decided were going to 90 it off the back of the garage and up with single wall and then 90 it again through the wall near the ceiling.

Ill get some pics in a little bit of our current setup.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would limit your 90* bends because that's where all of the soot and ash will acumulate.

In our garage we have the pipe going straight up thru the roof with a 3 wall pipe. to get some more heat off of it we put a fan behind the pipe to get as much heat as possible from it.

WVXC450R

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here's our current setup. The sides are drywall with sheet metal over top of it, the back is the same except for where the exhaust pipe is going out now we cut a 24"x24" square, lined it with 1/8" steel we had laying around, and rain the 3 wall pipe through it.

By the way it is our garage so we are trying to keep it as cheap a possible. We got the stove for free or we wouldn't even be doing all of this lol.

You must be registered for see images attach

supertrucker1978

She Does???
Reaction score
That is sketchy as hell!!!! You need to have like 36" of space on each side of the wood stove. You shouldn't be lining anything with steel around the stove. It has to be brick, or block. You really can't "cheap out" when it comes to a wood stove.

WVXC450R

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was waiting for someone to say that! So far so good though! We've had it going for about 8 hours max so far and you can still touch all of that sheet metal .