Any MPG Fans here??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eXo0us

Reaction score
Diesel is a denser store of energy than gasoline, so there's that too.
Diesel is 38kwH / Gallon - Gasoline is 34 kWh / Gallon

That's 10% difference in Energy density - for most Diesel are getting 30% or better fuel economy in the same vehicle
Yes, and if we are to explore exactly why diesels are more fuel efficient we have to include higher compression ratio, unthrottled inlet, lower (mean) temperature combustion, more favourable ratio of specific heat during expansion, extended expansion ratio due to turbocharging (to the benefit of reduced 'air work' on the inlet side). It is less that low rpm delivers good fuel efficiency for them, more that low rpm is all that they are capable of!
Dr Diesel threw himself overboard. A pity he didn't take his engines with him.

All those measures are done to keep the RPM low. There had been experiments with Diesel which had throttles, there had been diesel with low compression to get to higher RPM. From a chemistry perspective - Diesel burns slower, The oxidation process is slower- the flame front is slower - there is a physical limitation how fast your can rev it because of those factors. That's why you optimize a Diesel engine to produce most of it's output low and revs - means less parasitic losses from the rotating assembly.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
All those measures are done to keep the RPM low.
They aren't. The fundamental problem with diesels is the slow combustion due to the gradual introduction of the fuel - contrast that with SI where the all the fuel is present at commencement of ignition.
There had been experiments with Diesel which had throttles,
Yes, but not as load control.
there had been diesel with low compression to get to higher RPM.
Cold start capability defines how low the CR can be - unless other strategies are employed (eg, pre-heating devices)
From a chemistry perspective - Diesel burns slower,
Only because of the difficulties associated with introducing the fuel and it finding air to combust with. Try running a SI engine on a fuel with octane rating as low as diesel's and combustion will be uncontrollably fast - spontaneous. We call it detonation.
The oxidation process is slower- the flame front is slower
There is no flame front. Flame fronts are a feature of SI engines not CI. Diesel burns where it find air - 'off the nozzle'. There isn't a prepared homogenous air/fuel mixture for a flame front to traverse.
- there is a physical limitation how fast your can rev it because of those factors. That's why you optimize a Diesel engine to produce most of it's output low and revs - means less parasitic losses from the rotating assembly.
There is no other option for diesel. It cannot turn high rpm because of the combustion restraint and DI is worse than IDI in that regard.

Diesels (CI) and gasoline (SI) engines pick up where the other left off. Eg, CR. The highest usable CR for a SI engine (to avoid detonation) is the lowest CR a CI can cold start with. The leanest mixture a SI can run is circa Lambda = 1.25, the 'richest' a CI can run is with circa 80% air utilisation (which is Lambda = 1.25). A CI will typically make its maximum power between 3500 and 4000 rpm - which is where a SI makes its maximum torque - with maximum power some several thousand rpm higher. For some SI engines, 4000 rpm is idle speed.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Worse that that, I think it's to the cube.
Say 100 mph is attainable in a (reasonably slippery) vehicle with 100 hp. To go 200 mph would require twice cubed, 2^3. 2^3 = 8. 8 x 100 hp = 800 hp. Which sounds about right for 200 mph.
Seems high, I had a ~450 hp Infiniti sedan that had the factory speed limiter at 180 mph and I came close to hitting it one night. It was still pulling well but I was out of road.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Aero has some effect on the old Vans/Trucks. But they are just not designed with that in mind. They are tall bricks with terrible disturbed underbodies.

When you look under a modern truck - everything is streamlined. You got good inner fenders which channel the air, an Airdam and Splitter at the front - even the top of the Tailgate has a small spoiler and the top of the cab. There is a lot going on in a Post 2010s Vehicle. + we get a lot more torque out of Gas engines down low. Which wasn't the case only two decades ago.

So you just admitted that older trucks and vans have a lot of room for improvement...

wb292

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I get 20 to 21.5 pretty consistently with my 91 RCSB K1500. Its a 350 with a HM290, 3.73's and 265/75-16s. I started with a 97 vortec block and TBI heads with the stock roller cam. I used split ratio roller rockers. 1.6 intake and 1.5 exhaust in an attempt to gain more low end torgue to reduce downshifts in the mountains. I'm running a 180 deg thermostat to keep the fan clutch from engaging as often. I have an edlebrock intake with JBL shorty headers and Y-pipe through a single 3 inch pipe and muffler ending before the rear axle. I wanted to reduce back pressure to reduce pumping loss. I have a 14X4 inch open air filter. I also used the old style intake gaskets to block off the heat exchanger under the intake. I installed the coolant block off plates in these gaskets for the rear coolant passage. My tires are Goodyear dura tracs in load range E and I run them at 85 PSI to reduce rolling resistance. I'm running a custom chip from Harris. I explained to him MPG was the main goal and I would be thrilled if it made 180 HP. I have other trucks for towing and hauling so crazy power isn't important here. I also run Mobil 1 5W-30 along with synthetics in the axles. I replaced the leaf spring bushings and all 4 front control arms along with all steering parts before a 4 wheel alignment. I wanted to run as straight as possible to reduce drag. If the front leaf spring bushing are wore the rear axle can shift to one side allowing the truck to YAW like a forklift. This will plow the wind on one side and create a vacuum on the other. That condition will increase wind drag. I haven't found a smoking gun for MPG just a lot of little improvements to get the mileage up.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Seems high, I had a ~450 hp Infiniti sedan that had the factory speed limiter at 180 mph and I came close to hitting it one night. It was still pulling well but I was out of road.
Probably is a touch on the high side when I rethink it. Chances are that less than 100 hp would give 100 mph.
Taking your figures, and raising the increase from 180 to 200 mph (1.11) to the third power (1.37) then multiplying your 450hp by it gives 620 hp for 200 mph. Plausible I think and shows the effect of drag at high speed ie, and additional 170 hp required for a gain of 20 mph in a car that will attain 100 mph on less than 100 hp.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Speaking of wind resistance. I saw this the other day.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media